Beam as single line in plan

country

I know there was a topic on this a while ago but I cannot find it here or in the resources.  Maybe I just don't know how to search properly but I have tried for a while including a google search.  

I would like to show the beams as a single centre line in plan view.  All I remember is there was a specific location to turn this on but I can't find it.

Perry

You mean if I save it in defaults, it is only for that floor? Not much of a default then.... I was hoping to have this in my plan templates. If that is the case, I would like something in the dbx to do this instead because that is how I want it on all of my floor plans.

I just tested it and yes, Perry is right (not that I doubted him but just wanted to try).  Perhaps if you have this default set before you model your data it would be correct...?

Although, even though i used to draw single lines in my 2d drawings, I prefer the full shape in 3D modeling since I can then see the edges of the beams and framing members to make sure it fully works. 

I am still not clear on what stays in a plan (template) when you delete things to do your new structure. I will have to try one but that will have to be after next week. I am hoping to get a couple designs out so I can actually leave the office and farm for 6 days.

Chief still does the full shape in 3D, it is just the plan view that is changed. This is better than VWs. I used to hate the red lines in Elevation.

VW had the same option and its a checkbox per member or class setting.  VW even had a joist hanger option where it showed the hanger hardware.  Its just not a lot of people bother to create 3D for framing materials so use a line instead just in 2D....which I did a lot.

I think a lot of Chief users do 3D framing views. It is very useful for checking structure and clarifying areas for contractors. Personally, I am finding all of this much faster in Chief than VW but this may be because I am old school and have rough paper sketches all done before I start in the computer.

You also have to change it for every floor in your plan

Perry's point is if you want you can have single line on floor one and double line on floor 2.  It is not a default for all floors.

Now what I would like is to be able to show single line on first floor for framing and double line of first floor for floor plan.   IOW,  I would like single line for beams on framing plan, but I would like double dashed line on floor plan to show dropped,   exposed, or ridge beams.........  

For me, and I do nothing but Con doc's, all the time, the 3d framing views just isn't there yet, needs more work for me to show 3d framing. It's getting closer with each new version. I really don't want framers looking at the 3d framing views and trying to build from that. Too many mistakes at this point for that. I really use Chief as a basic start ,and cad detail everything that needs one.