Something ain't sticken

dshall

Take a look at the picture.  Note the blue cameras and the green camera.   I swear,  3 hours ago I put those green cameras on that layer.  Well,  I just got finished doing it again.   again I had to put the cameras on green layer.

What I am saying is it appears that sometimes things don't stay where I put them.  I did put those camera on  the layer that makes them green,  a few hours later I find myself having to do it again.  

I will see if it sticks this time.  I will post again if I find those cameras did not  stick to the layer I assigned them too.

post-50-0-12691500-1440627892_thumb.png

Okay,  here is the  proof.  I just closed  plan file and layout file,  reopened them,  and now take a look at where the cameras are.  

Seriously,  there is a camera that is behaving and then there are a couple that are not behaving.

post-50-0-03994500-1440628179_thumb.png

What is the difference with the cameras? As you know the color changes if they are open.

I find that odd changes don't seem to stick, but I just put it down to maybe not saving or something. So I just go do it all over.

I am thinking that i might just start my next job in X6 as I dont remember these things happening in X6, at least I would then know.

Here is the proof,

Let's combine screen shots so you can see them side by side.  Keep in mind,  I made a change.....  moving a couple of cameras to a different layer,  they show up on different layer and they show up green,  but if I close and reopen plan....  some of the cameras reverted back to their original layer,  the blue layer.

Here is the proof,  note that the green cameras should of stayed green........

post-50-0-62420200-1440628510_thumb.png

What is the difference with the cameras? As you know the color changes if they are open.

I find that odd changes don't seem to stick, but I just put it down to maybe not saving or something. So I just go do it all over.

I am thinking that i might just start my next job in X6 as I dont remember these things happening in X6, at least I would then know.Gr

Graehme,  one layer is CAMERA SECTIONS and one layer is CAMERAS SECTION NIP  (not in plan).  It has nothing to do with if the camera is open or not.

It is like a blob of mercury,  I can not narrow down the cause....  it keeps eluding me like all the women that eluded me for the first 35 years of my miserable life.  

Are you changing the camera's layer while the camera is active? Not sure you can do that.

No,  in fact what I did was I put one of the cameras on the NIP layer,  and then instead of selecting another camera to put on NIP layer,  I used layer eye dropper.  I don't think that was the problem.

Wait,  let me open it now and see if all is well......  nope there are several cameras that ARE STILL NOT ON CORRECT LAYER......  let me select camera and put on a layer without using layer eyedropper.....

Okay,  I just figured it out.....  I can use layer eyedropper to put camera on a specific layer..... but it does not stick.  If I want to put a camera on a specific layer,  I have to open the camera and put it on specific layer.

IOW,  layer eye dropper does not work for cameras....... or I should say layer eyedropper works temporarily until I close and reopen....  layer eyedropper does not stick.....  

A question on how you work.

When you save do you use the save command CTRL-S or do you often just close the plan and click yes when the dialog asks to you save?

The reason I ask is that sometimes the code that tells the program that something has changed is not always hooked up correctly. Most of the time this works correctly because the design of how things hook into the program tries to ensure that this is correct. But in some cases, this falls through cracks. What you describe is clearly a bug that should be simple for us to fix. I'm assuming that the issue is related to this problem, but it may be something else.

There is however a way of working that I would recommend to avoid this.

Always save using the hot key for save before closing your plan rather than relying on the program to ask.

This is actually a good technique for most software because it is a common problem for programs in general to not pick up on the need to save.

A question on how you work.

When you save do you use the save command CTRL-S or do you often just close the plan and click yes when the dialog asks to you save.......

Out of habit,  I do a COMMAND S and then a COMMAND W.  So yes,  I use a hot key to save and I do not rely on the CA warning message asking do I want to save.  I am pro-active saving.

Wow,  can't explain it,  call from client,  window missing in plan...  but in the BACK UP ENTIRE PLAN copy of plan file,  plan is good,  but the other plan,  same name,  the original that the BACK UP ENTIRE PLAN came from,  the window missing.

I can't  put my finger on it,  but be careful......  sometimes things just ain't a stickin.  

I have an obsessive habit from the earlier versions of CA, I hit the save icon frequently and never close the plan without clicking it again. Save, save, save, backup, backup, backup.

I think I do a save a lot.....  not sure if this is my issue or CA issue,  I will keep an eye out.  

I think I can prove that cameras are not staying on appropriate layer if I do a layer eye dropper.

I think I proved that there are some funny things happening with floors depending on where you select the floor and blah blah  blah.....  I ain't gunna 'splain it agin,    but I think I am losin my mind and my spellin 'bilities wid thes funy stuf goin` on wid CA.