Multiple Buildings in Terrain

jon_guiffre

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

I am trying to place several structures on a sloping terrain and all of the structures stay at the same floor reference height as the first structure that I drew. I want to put a cabana on a pool deck that sits about 8 feet lower then the main house. How do I get different structures to sit on the sloping terrain? I have X7.

• Solution

The way I have adopted for large commercial projects on modulated terrain is to have a plan file for each building. Convert each building to a symbol and then place the symbols into a single plan with terrain. This makes the locating process a lot easier since you are raising and lowering symbols instead of multi part building constructs. The buildings converted to symbols can be gutted inside to create fewer 3D faces in the group plan. The single plan files are used to communicate each building in detail and the group plan is just for the site plan and site plan renderings.

DJP

I'm wondering, David, if you have some changes to several buildings, do you have to make new symbols, every time. That seems like a lot of extra work, and it would be great if Chief could figure a way to update the symbols. Never tried your method but I really don't run into that kind of thing very often. I can and do usually keep it all in the same plan.

For me the symbol process is simple and fast, so I do not see the bother, such things are a matter of opinion anyways. Do what you like, I like symbols for large projects which makes the planning and layout easy and simple. Symbols are a nickle a billion that can be made and thrown away quickly.

DJP