Can a P-line Solid Be Turned Into A Window...?

HumbleChief

to add to a schedule? I have a pretty unique couple of windows that occupy a corner and will be notched in to a large granite boulder. They are currently simple p-line solids but I need to add them to the window schedule to modify the Title 24 calcs here in California.

What's a good strategy to get them on the window schedule? Convert to Symbols maybe?

Thanks

It will need to be/remain rectangular with the rock notched to fit the shape. I was watching a video by Glenn re: electrical symbols and it seems I might be able to create symbol as a window or at least specify it as such in a schedule?

Here's the video reference. I'll try and create a symbol - don't have any other options I can think of.

http://screencast.com/t/C4xaJPDtE2Q9

Can't you export the p-line solid to a .3ds file, and then re-import that into Chief as a window?...

Or am I missing something?

Jonathan I see the import .3ds dialog box in your post but I don't see a way to export the p-line solid as a 3ds object. Oh I think you mean as a separate object in its own plan file? Yeah I can create a symbol from there pretty easy I think but I got distracted a bit. Will try it now.

Larry,

If you will show me exactly what you want - I can help.  Creating a Window Symbol isn't really difficult.  I just need the detail.

OTOH, if you just use a standard wall with a fixed glass window.  Then you can "Superimpose" The Bolder - even without the "Notch".  It will look fine in 3D and the bldg dept will accept it as a rectangular fixed glass window.

Thanks Joe, Jonathan.

I've created a thousand symbols and just did it again in this case and it worked OK. I should be able to just get the window on a schedule for T24 and not worry about the 3D views, which have been approved a long time ago. Was more wondering about the best approach - symbol it is.

Didn't set the 2D block to none, I'll see what effect that has.

Thanks again

Larry,

For the 3D View, in order to make it fit into the wall, adjust the 3D Origin Offset ("Y") value.  I don't remember off hand but I think it needs to be a negative value.  I would also refine the window to be a thinner piece of Glass and maybe make a "frame" the thickness of the wall as a part of the symbol.

Thanks Joe, Jonathan, Jef.

Go it to work OK with a lot of effort. Like I say in this last video I think if Chief had a contest, and offered unlimited prize money, to come up with the most complicated, unintuitive, and obtuse method for dealing with 3D symbols there would be no winner - because they have already accomplished that objective.