Build Framing and Roof Plane Specification

gelbuilding

Was amazed when i was building framing and when changing the roof rafters, they wouldn't change to the size i was inputting.

Called a mate which is good with CA and advised to check my settings in Roof Plane Specification, and amazingly found that the size of the roof rafter was there too.

My question is, when you setup build framing  i thought everything is controlled here.

So why did i have to go to roof plane specs and change the rafter size.

Open the Build Roof dbx...Roof panel...Specifications.

Do you have Trusses (no Birdsmouth) checked?

If so, Chief is getting it's rafter size from the Trusses panel in the Framing Defaults dbx.

If you uncheck Trusses, Chief will use the Rafter size from the Roof panel of the Framing Defaults dbx. 

So...set up your rafter size in Defaults...Framing...Roof...Rafter.

Uncheck Trusses in Build Roof...Roof...Specifications...Trusses. 

Build roofs.

• 2 years later...

Wouldn't this type of graphical dbx make roof framing and truss creation a bit easier? The attached image is from an unknown program but shows the use of the term HAP (height above plate) which for me is better than Chief's use of the term "Baseline Height" in the imageless Roof Framing and Roof Plane dbx's

Softplan uses a graphic section diagram similar to the attached image in their roof specification dbx (and that was way back in 1996 when I had the opportunity to use the program for about 4 months).

I would like visual feed back such as this in many of the dbx's. Would illuminate confusion in many instances and make the program more intuitive and user friendly.-cheers-BB