Templetes

Paramount

Mick,

The Easiest way to create a CAD Detail Window is to use "Shift-V".  You can also create a new CAD Detail Window by using the Menu.

You can create or copy any CAD (Text, Lines, Arcs, Blocks, Polylines, Schedules, etc) in CAD Detail Window.

You can not place any 3D Objects in a CAD Detail Window.

Maybe it would be best if the "Detail" was not a part of the name - it can be confusing for some people.

Yes, maybe I misunderstood , making a CAD Detail in my Template wasn't the issue , I have my Schedules and Plans Notes etc in CAD Details in my Template now following advice from the Forum of Late , I wasn't sure how you were putting your things Like "Typical Details" (Wall, Foundation, Eave etc)  into you CAD Details , since they aren't generated in that Template Plan.

M.

***Edit : Perry was kind enough to enlighten me in your Suggestions thread Joe...   Thanks P. :)

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/6258-copypaste-cad-detail-windows/#entry56529

CAD details via CAD Detail Management are available to use (you create them) in both your Plan file and your Layout file (i.e., shortcut is Shift - V):

attachicon.gifL.O.-CADDetailMngmt.JPG

You may or may not find it convenient to use both.

I have my schedules etc in the Plan Template but was Wondering if it might be better to put General Notes in the Layout 's CAD Details or Simply make that kind of thing one of my  pages in my Layout already done.

M.

Mick, 

You can do it either way. 

If you do it in a Plan CAD Detail then you would create the text in real world size and send to Layout at Scale.  IOW, if you wanted 1/8" high text you would make it 6" text in Plan and send to Layout at 1/4" scale.

If you do it in a Layout then you create the text as 1/8" high. 

If anyone knows how to convert that view to a title block that has horizontal text please let me know. It is difficult to read and place views sideways? 

EDIT: Never mind I just realized that is the way this industry does drawing titles (to the side). Aircraft and auto is different (on bottom). 

Your Layout can contain many Pages (15-30 is Common) and you can pre-do them , they all take the basics from Page 0 of the Layout ( title block, borders,etc)  this is the Default page and is used as a Template for all the others (unless you add other templates to the Layout too) . The other Pages you can Edit the Page Info , so the Tilte Block is populate witht he Name you want etc. 

There is UserGuide Tutorial on this Stuff and a video too I believe.

Page 0 is the only place you can change this Template stuff ....  you can select any block of text and Rotate it just like any other object in Chief .... you may need to alter you Title Block though as the text would be scrunched in a vertical style text block , but if that's how you prefer it , it is pretty easy , do a Save As of your Current layout and Try it , if you prefer it then Save it as you Default Layout Template.

M.

Mick, 

You can do it either way. 

If you do it in a Plan CAD Detail then you would create the text in real world size and send to Layout at Scale.  IOW, if you wanted 1/8" high text you would make it 6" text in Plan and send to Layout at 1/4" scale.

If you do it in a Layout then you create the text as 1/8" high. 

Okay thx, I have been trying to figure out "best practices" from all the "Gurus" here , and I know there is personal choice involved , but I am not deep enough into CA to know all it's little foibles , and tend to just       "push thru and get her done"  so end up with different ideas/techniques each time , so I am trying to "streamline" my practices and correct my "bad habits" of late, as I have had a little more time, to deal with the "Inner Workings" of CA.

M.

Personally, I like text boxes in CAD Details in Plan Files.  I can send them to Layout and if they are a bit too big or too small I can just "rescale".  OTOH, if I just copy/paste the text from a CAD Detail in the Layout File then I can stretch the Text Box to fit the width available.  Most of my major Notes are in the Layout.

Personally, I like text boxes in CAD Details in Plan Files. .....

Me too,  I think P. does a lot of stuff in layout,  I like all the stuff in plan file.  Different strokes.... not sure of advantages or disadvantages of either method.

Me too,  I think P. does a lot of stuff in layout,  I like all the stuff in plan file.  Different strokes.... not sure of advantages or disadvantages of either method.

1.  Everything is to Scale

2.  The Layout is consistent

3.  No need to make additional Layout changes when the Plan is modified.

a.  Mostly because almost all the text in the Layout is generated by macros

1.  Everything is to Scale

2.  The Layout is consistent

3.  No need to make additional Layout changes when the Plan is modified.

You might have some good reasons for staying out of layout and staying in plan.  I follow 1 & 2,  not sure if I get 3.

I would recommend the plan method for everybody but P.  Somehow I think he has it worked out pretty good.