Templetes

Paramount

Hi, I have been working in this plan a while to get defaults where I like them and tried to clean it out to create a template but when I use input point 0,0 on any sheet and try and move the plan to center around the point the point moves as well. If I put reference floor display on plans on floor 2,3, etc are not centered to 0,1. I want all floor plans centered around 0,0, to prevent z-fighting and misalignments. 

The way I am checking to see there is nothing left in the plan is run a material list. I don't know of another way to make sure the plan in empty? 

post-5962-0-38227100-1440256665_thumb.jpg

Templete.plan

Terry your Drawing sheet is 384' wide by 288' ( yes feet) , that's some big printer you got  :)..... your current Print scale is 1/4" to 4'

I can however easily move the sheet without moving the Point , so not sure what you  are doing there 

Just delete the basement, 1st ,2nd and 3rd Floors for now , then you know it's all gone and you just have your defaults setup and everything will align perfectly when rebuilt

don't worry that the drawing sheets don't line up with the model at this point , that doesn't effect the model , 00 is always 00 no matter where the "sheet" is.

something like this

Terry's Template Plan.plan

Thanks gents. 

I read on-line to drag the sheet with scroll button but that takes the point with it. When I select the sheet and use the handles that does not. I have all my sheets on all floors centered now. 

Mick, I went back to my original plan and see what you mean I drew it way to large. I modified the sheet to a "D" size with a 1:1 scale. Now it is so small it is in my laundry room (go figure :). So I tried, all layer on, edit area (all floors), transform/duplicate, scale, and it won't scale down to fit in my sheet? My template walls are way to big, annotation too large at 1/2 scale the lowest setting in the drop down box. How do I scale them down? 

The problem is in drawing sheet set-up if I select say a 2' x 3' "D" sheet and use a 1/4":1' scale CA scales the sheet size up 48xs to 96' x 144', at 1/2":1' 24xs to 48' x 144'. Yes large plotters needed?  

So what gives here? 

post-5962-0-34545400-1440361282_thumb.jpg

ParaFlex_Vaulted_Moved.plan

Templete.plan

Terry,

What sheet size do you want to print to?

What scale do you want to print to?

I think the problem is your scale setting in the Drawing Sheet Setup dbx.

I don't think that you really want to print at a scale of 1:1 - that is printing full scale!

At a scale of 1/4"=1' your plan just fits on a Arch D (24"x36") sheet. 

Do not worry about measuring the sheet size in the plan - Chief is indicating how the plan would look printed at a certain scale on a certain sheet size (the sheet size is being scaled - not the plan) - just set your drawing scale in the Drawing Sheet Setup dbx.

Also, do you really want to print directly from the plan?

It would be more common practice to sent to Layout and then print.

Terry there is something VERY weird with your Template  , I gave up trying to figure it out...

Instead I opened the default Profile.Plan and imported your Defaults into it , Set the Printer Sheet to 24x36 and it appears to show the sheet correctly now....

Normally you send to Layout at whatever Scale you what , then when you Print the Layout you then Print at 1:1 as it is already at scale in the Layout .....I usually Print to PDF 1st as a Check.....

Here is your new Template , give it a try ,Download it, then open it and save it as a Template immediately with YOUR wanted template name in the Templates Folder and say yes when it asks if you want to use it as your default for all new plans.                Then you will also have the downloaded file as a backup too , incase off screw-ups in the future

M.

Template Plan_fixedMH.plan

You guys are great! It makes more sense to get a profile plan and import the defaults if that is all one is after. I did not know that was there. So don't get too hung up on the plan sheet size it is just ref I learned since there are scale and print tools in layout. 

I have furthered my layout template with a logo and populated some sheets from watching the layout video. Been playing with CAD blocks to get standard notes on sheet 1. I only have CAD blocks in the "library" browser not the "layout project browser" like the video shows? I added a proprietary disclaimer CAD block from the library and now I "explode" it to edit the text with my company name then turn back to CAD block and put in the layout library some how? I tired that it exploded to a text box but I did not get the "make CAD Block" per these instructions: http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00500/customizing-a-cad-block.html

I looked around for some tutorials on how to add CAD notes no luck. Is there a better way to all these notes and diagrams to sheet 1?

See attached PIC and layout template...

Template (Layout).layout

post-5962-0-89730000-1440501131_thumb.jpg

Put the notes in a CAD DETAIL ,  either in your  layout or in plan and send to layout,  easy peasy.

I would keep all notes out of library.  If they are in library I think they are harder to find.  If you want to store them someplace,  store them in a WAREHOUSE NOTE PLAN,  if you want a note,  open the WAREHOUSE NOTE PLAN that has all notes,  copy the  one you need and put it in new plan.

Often times the users have better methods than CA advocates.  We do it every day,  we have learned methods that are quicker and easier.  

"Warehouse Note Plan"!!!! Im sure I have had this explained to me before with some other options but it actually made sense to me this time. Thank you.

Take it a step further...  a separate FURNITURE WAREHOUSE PLAN,  or a PENDANT LIGHT WAREHOUSE PLAN,  etc.  As you can guess,  this method is much quicker to accessing often used symbols than getting the items out of the CA library.

For often used Symbols, I use the "User Library" but I've arranged it with sub-folders and when I find a symbol in one of the other Libraries  that I want to use repeatedly I simply place a link to that symbol in one of those sub-folders.  

I agree with Scott that many things are better stored in CAD Detail Windows in your Template(s).  This is particularly true of Text Objects since they don't have to be "Blocked" and consequently are much easier to "Copy/Paste" and then edit if necessary.  Those CAD Detail Windows are easier to use than Warehouse Plans but for some things a Warehouse Plan is appropriate.  You just have to figure out which is going to be best for any specific case.

User Library - it must be well organized

CAD Detail Windows in the Template(s)

Warehouse Plans - in most cases I arrange content within CAD Detail Windows

Take your pick - but select wisely.

I am hoping CAD Details are on the agenda next week. I will start all of these new ideas once I get back home from the UGM with all my new found wealth of info.

I have started my User library and have folders and subfolders already. I still have a ways to go with my plan template(s) because I'm still not sure how to handle the various job styles from laneway suites to commercial/residential buildings.

...... I still have a ways to go with my plan template(s) ......

Mon Cherie,  your plan template will never be perfect.  It will be forever evolving.  That is why I advocate the SAM.  But whatever method,  try to get over the idea of waiting for your template plan,  don't let that stop you from working on a new plan with whatever template you have at the time.  

That is what I am doing. Joey shared a plan and layout template with me and I have changed them up to suit. I have 3 jobs going based on this and am copy and pasting repeated items back and forth. This should give me a good start on my own company templates. I still need work on the different size layout templates but I just have to decide what will be the best method for me.

Apologies to Terry... I seem to have gone off on a tangent from your original post.

I use the lib. for all my cad details, better yet, they are already on the template layout and I don't have to import anything. I like it so far, but I can see why some people use the lib warehouse plan. To each there own.

Ok, so here's what I use:

Library - organized with sub folders:

Symbols

Wall Types

Material Regions

Cabinets

Doors

Windows

Molding Profiles

CAD Details in the Template(s) - named in the Project Browser

Schedules

Text Boxes with standard notes that can be copied directly to the Plan or Layout

Text Boxes to be sent to Layout (generally these have embedded macros)

CAD Details in Warehouse Plans

Each CAD Detail is named in the Project Browser and contains a "Standard Detail" that can be sent to Layout.

I find that this system provides the best access to each item type and minimizes confusion.

Joe (and others), how do you guys deal with the inevitable hard drive failure and/or upgrade to new equipment with all of these different links to plan/layout? I'm thinking here about the possibility of different hard drive letter(s) on a new/restored system, especially with partitions. All of those links have to be restored some way on the new system as CA would not know where to find them in that scenario. If it is a network drive it may not be so much of a problem, especially with something like RAID mirroring. But I'm talking about a typical "standalone" system so many of us use every day. Would that be the nightmare I think it would be?

I am now using the User Library like Joe does after seeing him post on that last yr I think it was , works well.

But I am not sure how, in your Template Plan (not Layout)  you are getting stuff into Cad Details ......

Saving them to library from other Plans , then inserting them into Cad Details in the Template Plan ?

I also need to develop better General Notes  , is it better to do that in a Cad Detail  or  Make a Page as part of the Layout Template , so they are in every Layout by Default ? 

M.

Mick,

The Easiest way to create a CAD Detail Window is to use "Shift-V".  You can also create a new CAD Detail Window by using the Menu.

You can create or copy any CAD (Text, Lines, Arcs, Blocks, Polylines, Schedules, etc) in CAD Detail Window.

You can not place any 3D Objects in a CAD Detail Window.

Maybe it would be best if the "Detail" was not a part of the name - it can be confusing for some people.

Wow! My thread made it to "HOT" status in one day, amazing, This place is on fire!! Just kidding! ;) Some of this stuff is over this noobs head, just due to lack of hours on CA. 

Seriously, I'd suggest the forums be broken out to Advanced, Intermediate, and Beginner. I know I have done it with software I know well among peers, get to a point where I forget to take the time to explain at a beginner or intermediate level. The beginner would be a place where poster take the time to post tutorials and PICs to better explain their post to newbies. 

So if everyone does not mind I'd like to back up to some basics I hope I am not the only one in need of. I don't even know what a CAD detail is, I just barely learned layouts and CAD Blocks.  So I found a video on CAD details for noobs like me: http://video.chiefarchitect.com/?search=cad+detail    "Adding CAD Details"

I'm going to watch it and try and add it to my lay-out template on sheet 1 as one suggestion, and then I want to go down the thread and try the other suggestions like Joe suggested. I may have some questions as I go, and about some of the acronyms used above. 

To start with, and I just learned lay-out basics too, I am trying to figure out how to shift the layout view vertically so I can read it while I work. I got no idea why these sheets title blocks are defaulting to vertical text, my neck needs some medication :) Other software I worked with the text/title blocks are horizontal. I tired portrait and landscape views, see attached. If I shift the window to where it is readable I guess I want to be able to shift the sheet and all views back so it prints right. 

post-5962-0-03874700-1440590547_thumb.jpg

post-5962-0-70331700-1440590559_thumb.jpg

Mick,

The Easiest way to create a CAD Detail Window is to use "Shift-V".  You can also create a new CAD Detail Window by using the Menu.

You can create or copy any CAD (Text, Lines, Arcs, Blocks, Polylines, Schedules, etc) in CAD Detail Window.

You can not place any 3D Objects in a CAD Detail Window.

Maybe it would be best if the "Detail" was not a part of the name - it can be confusing for some people.

This is a good post, thanks, let me try this. Lets please stay on the topic of creating CAD details and windows for notes, etc, on sheet 1 of lay-outs for now to reduce confusion. 

The "adding CAD Details" video is pretty good. More than adding simple notes but, shows how to create a detail using the management tool as Curt said. I was able to create the same CAD detail in my plan and template. I took the Disclaimer "Proprietary Note" out of  "core catalogs" in the library browser, dragged and dropped it on the CAD detail window the tool creates. I then selected it and was able to use the "Explode" tool that converted it to a text box. When I selected it a macro I think takes me through editing to put my company name in the note. After that I selected it with a marquee and got a create CAD block in the sub menu below. After that I was able to "add to library" in the same sub menu. I don't why I could not create the modified text block back to a block before, it must have been the way I was selecting it. This all performs the same way in plan or layout. 

In Library Browser I now have a proprietary cad block with the note the way I want it in my "user catalog" up for grabs in plan or layout. My Project Browser has folders set up by default one of which is "CAD Details". That show in plan or layout sub-folders. See attached. 

As others have said this may all I need. In my case I am not for hire yet :) just designing spec homes and populating sheet 1 may be all I need for all of them. But I am going to try the other methods next. 

post-5962-0-94272600-1440612156_thumb.jpg

If anyone knows how to convert that view to a title block that has horizontal text please let me know. It is difficult to read and place views sideways? 

EDIT: Never mind I just realized that is the way this industry does drawing titles (to the side). Aircraft and auto is different (on bottom).