Roof problem 8' merging into 9' ceiling heights

DianeP

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

I am not that best with chief but we use multiple plate heights in Florida all the time  The back of the plan is how I treat different plate heights I I have used sloping of the roof like some one posted but I personal never liked but builders do it all the time like that. I did not know how to do front with extra ridge kine without jogging the porch

Adamattachicon.gifporch sep roof .planattachicon.gifthird ridge line.plan

pazzfam  Sounds like you might have what I need to learn.  Unfortunately, I am in x5 at the moment.  Although I can open x7 I can't see any camera views (just plan view) because of my system not meeting the requirements.   Could you please give me more guidance on what you did and I will try to recreate in x5? Could you attach pictures of the various elevations?

Okay this is what I am going to do.   Until I can get information from the truss company that explains how they have the left, rear and right roof planes fascias all at one level  when the garage is at 8' and the rear and right of the house are at 9'???   I will get the truss layouts from the truss company and share them and perhaps we can revisit this dilemma in the future.   In the meantime, I will just fudge the elevations in CA and take it to AutoCAD as a last resort.  Thanks everyone for trying to help me get this right.  

post-511-0-23301200-1440350160_thumb.jpg

Looking at the thumbnail, this looks promising but it needs to be hipped in the rear and it needs to have the porch connected across the house.  I tried to open it but I am in CA x5.  I downloaded and installed my SSA upgrade to X7 but I don't have the system requirements to see the camera views only the plan view.  I will try to duplicate in X5.  Thanks for you help!

It would be easier if I wasn't drawing from Napkins and had ALL the information ;)  

the Gable at the back was just a click of a button...... back to Hip

the roof returns need to be extended the same amount as the overhang to get that look  ( assuming I got it right) of the gable sitting above the skirt roof.

And the front roof plane  (above front door) needs the same baseline/pitch as the skirt roof , to meddle them together

post-315-0-96392700-1440385535_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-63567400-1440385547_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-34398100-1440385565_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

It would be easier if I wasn't drawing from Napkins and had ALL the information ;)  

the Gable at the back was just a click of a button...... back to Hip

the roof returns need to be extended the same amount as the overhang to get that look  ( assuming I got it right) of the gable sitting above the skirt roof.

And the front roof plane  (above front door) needs the same baseline/pitch as the skirt roof , to meddle them together

attachicon.gifCapture_Done_extended Roof.JPGattachicon.gifCapture_Done_extended Roof2.JPGattachicon.gifCapture_Done_Gable Roof.JPG

Yes it absolutely would have been easier to have everything provided at the very beginning.  I apologize for the parts that I messed up.  I had company and tring to work with their distractions didn't provide for a very cohesive presentation of what I was after on this project.  The contractor providing his elevation pictures late didn't help.   Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Anyways, with your help and those other forum members that worked so diligently to assist me, I was able to convince the contractor that the three walls couldn't have the same fascia height.  We went with the look you came to which is one of the  scenarios I had tried thru the many iterations I did on this stupid roof.    It is the one that has the left roof plan at 8' join the rear plane at 9'..... so if you look from the rear the right side has a small shed slope.  Such is the way of the production builder who gives you a plan today and wants it finished 3 days ago.  Thanks again for all your help.  I am so glad that I wasn't missing something that made this not work properly.  CA rocks!!!

• Solution

Ahh I see you actually have X7 , I thought X5 ...why can't you run it?  . it runs even on my Surface 3 and it only has Intel HD Graphics , so sounds like you need to update drivers at Intel ( not Windows Update or your Computer Makers website)

or buy a cheap Nvidia Videocard.

here is the plan (_MH2 ) incase you can use it after all.... (_MH3 was just another Plan)

1512_MH2.plan

1512_MH3_DGable.plan

• Upvote 1

Ahh I see you actually have X7 , I thought X5 ...why can't you run it?  . it runs even on my Surface 3 and it only has Intel HD Graphics , so sounds like you need to update drivers at Intel ( not Windows Update or your Computer Makers website)

or buy a cheap Nvidia Videocard.

here is the plan (_MH2 ) incase you can use it after all.... (_MH3 was just another Plan)

You had it right.  I am working in x5 but have the subscription for all since then.  I work from a Sony VAIO all in one computer. I love its compactness, but the video card is integrated with no way to install a different one.  It is a update video card driver NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400.   I will try to update the driver on the video card as you suggest to see if that helps.  I think I tried to do this before and the video card driver is no longer supported.  Either way I have plans to upgrade and have a better backup system in the near future.  That way I will be able to keep up with the new upgrades that CA has to offer.  Problem is that I need to have windows 7 to run the older version of AutoCAD which I still need to use for other CAD work.  It works fine for my needs and I don't want to spend the thousands to upgrade to the latest version.  Cool that you found a tablet that works.  Are you on the Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3?  Is this your only system?  I need a usb for my external hard drive backup (which also is backed up on Carbonite online)

Diane,

Mick's post #20 and #23 are the only ways 5 planes will achieve that Porch/Garage "mandate" :) ... No amount of fudging will change that.. PLEASE let us know how it ends up...

Rashid_Garuba  I went with his post 30 version with plans on post 32.  The other hip to gable porch and garage roof planes I didn't put into the  "mandate"  because I knew how to create them.  Thanks for helping me get this done! 

You had it right.  I am working in x5 but have the subscription for all since then.  I work from a Sony VAIO all in one computer. I love its compactness, but the video card is integrated with no way to install a different one.  It is a update video card driver NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400.   I will try to update the driver on the video card as you suggest to see if that helps.  I think I tried to do this before and the video card driver is no longer supported.  Either way I have plans to upgrade and have a better backup system in the near future.  That way I will be able to keep up with the new upgrades that CA has to offer.  Problem is that I need to have windows 7 to run the older version of AutoCAD which I still need to use for other CAD work.  It works fine for my needs and I don't want to spend the thousands to upgrade to the latest version.  Cool that you found a tablet that works.  Are you on the Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3?  Is this your only system?  I need a usb for my external hard drive backup (which also is backed up on Carbonite online)

X7 works fine on Windows 7. Usually, most decent laptops have onboard graphics as the usual card, as well as the good (in your case) Nvidia card. However, to get the Nvidia card to work, you have to go into the Nvidia control panel and explicitly tell it that you want Chief X7 to run on the Nvidia card. It's possible that you are running on the low quality onboard graphics system.

X7 works fine on Windows 7. Usually, most decent laptops have onboard graphics as the usual card, as well as the good (in your case) Nvidia card. However, to get the Nvidia card to work, you have to go into the Nvidia control panel and explicitly tell it that you want Chief X7 to run on the Nvidia card. It's possible that you are running on the low quality onboard graphics system.

For real!!!  I want to do this.  How do I do tell it to run Chief X7?  I have the Nvidia control panel open.  I have two categories to select from, 3D Settings and Display.

For real!!!  I want to do this.  How do I do tell it to run Chief X7?  I have the Nvidia control panel open.  I have two categories to select from, 3D Settings and Display.

So, under 3D settings, there is a "Program Settings" tab. Go to it, select Chief, and below that, tell it to use the correct "Preferred Graphics Processor." HTH

EDIT: I should probably add that there is also a Global Settings, where you can set EVERY program to use the Nvidia processor, however, this will use more battery power, if that is a consideration.

Richard maybe onto something for you there ...... I have seen this reported a lot for Laptops ..(.them not using the Nvidia Card for Chief)  on the Manage 3D Tab you may need to use the ADD button to find Chief and set it up, if not listed.

I have the Surface3 (has 1 USB3) as do several other Forumites..... it aint swift but x7  seems to work okay  , but I also have an older desktop in the Office which has a Nvidia Card too , which is still on Win7 too.

Yes Like sherry I am still wondering what the Truss company is doing , so if you get a set of plans please post them.

M.

EDIT   according to Nvidia the latest Driver for you is 179.48  with that 7 series go card.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/8972

I am definitely thinking your laptop is using the Intel onboard graphics (discrete) instead but even it , with newer drivers may run x7 too as CA did a lot or work with x7 to work with Older intel cards earlier this yr.