Roof problem 8' merging into 9' ceiling heights

DianeP

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

I have a builder that uses 8' ceilings in the garage and 9' on the front porch.  He will use 8' walls with  heels bring it to 9' on some of the exterior walls.  These are shown in his instructions which I attached.  The completed roof should have only 5 planes. The roof overview and rear view pictures show a problem I am having with left rear corner of the house when I manually manipulate the planes that are auto built.  Not the look they are going for at all.  They want the garage front to be 1 foot lower than the front  porch.  I usually will just take this into AutoCAD and fudge it and let the truss company deal with it,  but now that CA is becoming my #1 software, I would really like to learn how to do this correctly in Chief Architect, if I can.  

I have attached my plan and some of the screen shots in an effort to be helpful.  Can anyone give me some guidance on how to accomplish this in Chief?  A video would be wonderful if one is available.  

As always, thanks for your kind assistance.

Diane

1512.zip

post-511-0-64166500-1440208004_thumb.jpg

post-511-0-38550400-1440208261_thumb.jpg

post-511-0-29049600-1440208278_thumb.jpg

I think Sherry is right , Your model can't be right if there is supposed to be 5 roof planes , there would have to be a gable at the back or something to eliminate one of the planes you have there now....   or you miscounted and meant 6 :)

Your Plan must have been open in CA when you zipped it , as the zip file is empty.   you don't need to zip it if the plan is smaller than 25mb nowadays btw..  

If you scanned and PDF'd those instructions they would be easier for people to see/read too.

And the Join Roof Planes Tool wont fix that corner for you ?

M.

• Upvote 1

I would just create 2D views and have the left side of the house all at the 8' level and the rear at 9' level.  As I said, it would be fudged but it works as far as what the finished roof should resemble.  The truss company is able to make the roof look right with 5 planes when the house is built.  I wish I knew their secret.  

I think Sherry is right , Your model can't be right if there is supposed to be 5 roof planes , there would have to be a gable at the back or something to eliminate one of the planes you have there now....   or you miscounted and meant 6 :)

Your Plan must have been open in CA when you zipped it , as the zip file is empty.   you don't need to zip it if the plan is smaller than 25mb nowadays btw..  

If you scanned and PDF'd those instructions they would be easier for people to see/read too.

And the Join Roof Planes Tool wont fix that corner for you ?

M.

I did  have the plan open.  thanks for letting me know. I will try to attach it again here.  pdfs too.

The roof planes are joined but the one for the left side of the roof hangs out too far and the ridge is off center of the left rear corner.  It needs to meet in the corner.  I think the secret with the trusse company is they will use heels on some of the shorter walls,  I just don't know how to do this.

1512.plan

roof instructions.pdf

I must be missing something , perhaps a fresh look tomorrow if you post the plan file but you have 4 roof planes over the main house and 2 over the garage bumpout , which one are you going to eliminate to make it 5?

I am thinking the same thing.   This is making my brain hurt.  

The plane count is as follows:  (they can be seen better in the roof overview .jpg)

1 goes from garage left to left rear corner of home

2 goes across the rear

3 goes across the right side of the home

4 goes across the porch to a valley at the right side of the garage

5 Is the little roof plane that is on the right side of the garage that comes up and joins a small portion of the left side plane making the gable.

Well what do you know it works :)  

post-315-0-17490600-1440217675_thumb.jpg

I'll tell ya how tomorrow ........ ok ok ...    now not sure if 100% correct but......

Build whole house (floor 1) at 9'1" , turn off Auto roof , and then lower the ceiling in the Rooms you want 8'1"  ( and Don't ever turn Auto Roof Build On again , Use manual roofs if needed.)

1512_MH.plan

Hopefully what you need , I gone for now... night

Mick

• Upvote 1

She said in Post #1 that they want the porch fascia to be 12" higher than the garage fascia. That is what I don't think works. I would ask for a photo, sketch or a copy of the truss plan for a similar house before I even started drawing this.

If it has been done before they will have a truss layout plan.

• Upvote 1

Everything can be achieved I chief. You have to have the knowledge to do so.

She mentioned in the first post for the floor to be lower.

All that needs to be done is place a negative value in the floor of 12 inches.

You mentioned this house cannot have five roof planes.

Clearly you can see Mick and I have done so if you download the files we have uploaded.

• Upvote 1

When she said garage "front" I thought she meant the garage roof fascia, not garage floor. Garage floors are always lower than the main floor (at least by code here). If it is the same fascia height then all is very simple, just different bottom chord heights (and more money for the truss guys).

• Upvote 1

Yes I did. As I said, no problem as long as the fascia heights are all equal. I thought she wanted the front garage fascia 12" lower. Obviously I misunderstood. I also thought the entire ceiling in the living room was to be 9'. Not sure about the sloping portions at the exterior walls.

• Upvote 1

I understood what Mon Cherie understood,  but I believe that is a misunderstanding.  I think Mick built it more correctly than Gel.  Gel has 8' plates,  Mick has 9' plates,  I think she wants 9' plates with the ability to drop ceiling down to 8'.

Diane does not fully understand what she wants and what she is doing.  

Sorry guys, I had some running I had to do.  I had my client sketch out how they wanted the front elevation to look and it is as I mentioned the garage is to be 1' lower than the  porch area.  You were thinking correctly Sherry.  I attached the sketch.  

post-511-0-49666400-1440264892_thumb.jpg

Yes I misunderstood too , I thought the garage floor was to be 12" lower ...  need to have another Play....

I actually cheated , as I thought D. only wanted a visual , there is a mix of 8' and 9' stud walls but by using heeled Trusses they all "look" like 9' once the siding is on. Though I don't think it has sloped ceilings like in Gel.'s pic either.

the new sketch seems to show an extra roof plane over the front door though ....so no longer 5 planes again.

I am not sure why the builder just isn't giving them 9' stud throughout ....much nicer "feel"  esp. on a smaller Home like this and way easier to build.

• Upvote 1

Well its not just 1512  which has fascia heights all the same, now it looks like you have 2 gables in the front and a skirt Roof as well :)

Unless they want 3 design options ?

I assumed the other sketch was wrong somehow ....builder in a rush.... and it works if you are okay with a roof height change in the back corner.

post-315-0-97660600-1440270330_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-26763200-1440270343_thumb.jpgpost-315-0-72249700-1440270354_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I understood what Mon Cherie understood,  but I believe that is a misunderstanding.  I think Mick built it more correctly than Gel.  Gel has 8' plates,  Mick has 9' plates,  I think she wants 9' plates with the ability to drop ceiling down to 8'.

Diane does not fully understand what she wants and what she is doing.  

Scott 

From a builders point of view its not feasible to build nine foot ceiling and and drop to eight.

I looked at the plan, sketch  that was posted and worked from that.

From a builders point of view i don't image it would be feasible to have nine foot walls and drop the ceiling to eight.

• Upvote 1

Scott 

From a builders point of view its not feasible to build nine foot ceiling and and drop to eight.

I looked at the plan, sketch  that was posted and worked from that.

From a builders point of view i don't image it would be feasible to have nine foot walls and drop the ceiling to eight.

I just did it that way for a quick visual in CA without spending too much time , and didn't worry about framing etc.

I would do it all at 8' and then build the roof with a 12" Above Plate Setting in the Build roof DBX , turn off Auto Roofs , raise the 3 rooms as needed to 9' , then put in the Trusses ( or not , that's what we pay them for ). 

Still not sure what the real  fix is down the back , the step up at the corner or just have the Rear wall as a Gable so the fascia's don't meet , as far as CA is concerned anyway , Glenn can probably figure it out in CA :)....  but I may have to stick to the Real World...as it's easier ITRW to get stuff done :) .

M.

• Upvote 1

I am not that best with chief but we use multiple plate heights in Florida all the time  The back of the plan is how I treat different plate heights I I have used sloping of the roof like some one posted but I personal never liked but builders do it all the time like that. I did not know how to do front with extra ridge kine without jogging the porch

Adamporch sep roof .planthird ridge line.plan

• Upvote 1

Done the Way mentioned above ..... with Gable and no trusses

attachicon.gifCapture_Done.JPG

attachicon.gif1512_MH2.plan

Looking at the thumbnail, this looks promising but it needs to be hipped in the rear and it needs to have the porch connected across the house.  I tried to open it but I am in CA x5.  I downloaded and installed my SSA upgrade to X7 but I don't have the system requirements to see the camera views only the plan view.  I will try to duplicate in X5.  Thanks for you help!