Lost or misplaced USB lock

MParker

Go to solution Solved by DRAWZILLA,

I have not used my CA for several years, moved an somehow have lost my USB Hardware Lock. My CA version 10 will not work. Just wanted to do a new home for a friend. Going nuts because I cannot fine the small device. I called customer support yesterday an feel I was slapped in the face; advised it would $295.00 to replace. *&^%$#@.

Does anyone know of a work around? I would not mine paying a few bucks for something that should not cost more than several dollars! CA has always seemed to be a good company. Both the excellent support system, as well as, the forums made working with CA, a breeze. Thanks for any advice or help.......!

Mitch Parker   

The drafting gods just decided I had been punished enough,....... I just picked a sealed bag of telescope lenses which I am happy to report also contained my software USB lock. Moving stinks........

Mitch:

you are VERY,VERY lucky

the cost quote should have been $1595....

CA doesn't replace lost hardware keys

so as Perry your only option would have been upgrading to X6

CA says to treat the key the same as cash

a business can purchase NAMED insurance to cover lost business property

BTW:  why feel like you had been slapped ?

it's not CA's fault you almost lost the key....

Lew

Yes I am very happy I located the dongle; if true that a two dollar item would have forced me into a buy a upgrade type situation I would not be a happy camper, I am retired an only use the software when a friend or a charity asks for my help getting through all the hoops the building departments put folks through. I already paid for the software, a lock, should be something easy to replace for a valid user! My opinion, of course!! 

CA has not always been the best when dealing with customers. Overall I think the support is good. It just so happens that I am not sure if some of the personnel who handles the phone lines are very good with dealing with clients. Some of the staff needs to take a lesson in listening to their customers while being able to subtlety telling their clients to pack sand without their customers knowing it.

I should probably take the same class. Ahhhh, the art of the salesman, there is a reason why good sales people make good money.

On a positive note, CA personnel are always available, something that many companies do not offer these days. It is hard to form a negative feeling about a companies personnel when you can't even speak to them.

the problem is that CA has no way of knowing if you gave that lock and software to someone else

while retaining a copy for your self

thus, if they replace a lost lock then they might be giving away a sale...

if the lock is broken then CA will replace it for a small fee

stolen locks they decide on a case by case basis

you can also ask for someone to donate their old lock if they have upgraded

I have donated my 9.5 and 10 and X1 keys to various needy users

CA requests that the donor verify that the needy one has a valid license

Lew

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm in a similar boat, I'm in desperate need of accessing and editing my archived CA-9.5 drawings without destroying them.  They won't upgrade.  Unfortunately my old hardware lock is a "parallel port", need I say more. In spite of my current x8 licensing, Chief Architect's stand is "too bad."  Any one have a 9.5 usp lock available that I might be able to buy, beg or steal? In three years, I have not been able to find an e-bay replacement or alternative.

On 8/22/2017 at 4:09 PM, JohnDuncan said:

I'm in a similar boat, I'm in desperate need of accessing and editing my archived CA-9.5 drawings without destroying them.  They won't upgrade.  Unfortunately my old hardware lock is a "parallel port", need I say more. In spite of my current x8 licensing, Chief Architect's stand is "too bad."  Any one have a 9.5 usp lock available that I might be able to buy, beg or steal? In three years, I have not been able to find an e-bay replacement or alternative.

If you have a Parallel Port Hasp ???  the simplest thing to do would be to buy a PCIE to Parallel Port Card ...$25-$50....just make sure it has Drivers for your OS

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Profile-Parallel-PEX1PLP/dp/B004G7O2AC/ref=pd_cp_0_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1CPBGBER62ZXTX2DG8Y1

or even a USB to Parallel Port Cable may work ??? $10

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-16899-Parallel-Printer-Adapter/dp/B000UX21PY/ref=pd_sim_0_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1CPBGBER62ZXTX2DG8Y1

I would do more research , the above are just examples for you... I am NOT saying they will work....