1st, 2nd, 3rd Floor Roofs - Show on 1 Plan ?

Joe_Carrick

"I THINK I UNDERSTAND,  AND IF I DO UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY,  YOU HAVE MADE MY POINT.  WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS ALL THE REF SETS FOR ALL FLOORS ARE ALL THE SAME....  BUT MAYBE I DON'T WANT THAT,  MAYBE I WANT UNIQUE REF SETS DEPENDING ON THE FLOOR I AM REFFING."

Let me break it down this way, and I will use VW naming conventions just for reference.

1. Layers

- Stories (floors)

- Roofs/slabs/foundation

- Any structural elements you want in addition and can have its own "z" elevation

- There are no actual restrictions - so you can use how you want.

2. Classes (contained within each Layer and can be customized as well)

- CAD Lines

- Objects

- Doors/Windows

- Trim/Millwork

- Text/Arrows

- Sub Class Groups

- Again, no actual restrictions expect this level is a child level to Layers

Each Layer AND Class have the ability to turned off, greyed out, or fully visible....all this within a click.  If you have a particular "view" you want to keep and quickly access, you simply save that view combination and can flip back to it whenever you want.  You can also temporarily, or permanently change how a class or layer is displayed (line type/width/etc).

Overall, this took me 10min. to understand when I started using VW.  In CA, I really struggled the MRLS and still dont feel very confident in it.  In fact, I watched the videos you did Scot for CheifTutor.com and I remember you being challenged in a few spots as well.  (though don't take that as a negative thing, since I've come to find your "exploratory" way of teaching very helpful)

I have a 3 Story House.  There are roofs at each floor level over the areas that are not covered by the floor above.  In some areas the upper floors cantilever beyond the floor below.

What's the best way to show a single Roof Plan with the Footprint of each floor?

I've done it by showing all the roof planes on the 3rd Floor and copied the Exterior Room Polylines from the 1st and second floors - but that seems a bit tedious.  I really couldn't figure out how to do it using a Reference Layer Set.  

Don't forget that you can "stack" different views in Layout, and adjust their priority by moving them to the front, since they are transparent. You can even "gray out" a view by adjusting the transparency to make it read further away. (Need to turn on layout box layer for this.) It would be great if you could lock them together somehow so they don't get misaligned accidentally, but you just have to be careful for now.

Don't forget that you can "stack" different views in Layout, and adjust their priority by moving them to the front, since they are transparent. You can even "gray out" a view by adjusting the transparency to make it read further away. (Need to turn on layout box layer for this.) It would be great if you could lock them together somehow so they don't get misaligned accidentally, but you just have to be careful for now.

Nice Tip Rich.  , I guess Point to Point move would make it fairly easy to Align ?