Scott's video--show plywood floor surface in framing render view

Larry_Sweeney

I would like to show the plywood floor in a 3D framing overview. I've played around with the floor surfaces, rooms and floor structure setup trying to get the right combination so the plywood subfloor would show along with the framing in a framing overview, but things aren't going very well. I remember Scott had a video "somewhere" where he was accomplishing this, but I can't locate it. Scott, can you or someone steer me in the right direction on how to get the subfloor to show? Thanks.

GOT IT! Everything shows like I want it to. I swear I had the same setting earlier and the subfloor did not show. The settings are Rooms-ON, Floor Surfaces-OFF. If I remember correctly Scott saying that the setting didn't always produce the results.

Scott....Have you ever played around with just the roof sheeting showing on the rafters/trusses?

Interesting question.  No.  But if you do an OVERVIEW,  you can use the surface delete tool to eliminate the shingles and see only the ply. I do not think there is a layer where as you can turn off shingles and see the ply.  Turn off roof layer and you lose the shingles,  ply and roof framing.

Scott....Have you ever played around with just the roof sheeting showing on the rafters/trusses?

Interesting question. No. But if you do an OVERVIEW, you can use the surface delete tool to eliminate the shingles and see only the ply. I do not think there is a layer where as you can turn off shingles and see the ply. Turn off roof layer and you lose the shingles, ply and roof framing.

You can use the "Adjust Material Definition" tool to redefine

the properties of the siding and shingles to "Transparent"

to reveal the layer beneath. You can use the "Break Wall"

tool to select portions of the walls to be transparent. You

can also change the appearance of individual roof planes.

post-126-0-78923900-1396828269_thumb.png

I think the idea was to temporarily turn off the shingles without changing the material to expose the ply.

Similar to being able to selectively turn off a floor finish and then the floor ply to show the floor joists.

He didn't say anything about temporarily, did he?

No he did not,   I assumed that is what he was asking for.  If it was not a temporary condition,  of course there are many options to get what he wants,  including what Rich had suggested.  I guess I thought that what Rich suggested was a no brainer and everybody knew of that option.

I don't understand--no brainer, b/c Penny says I don't have one.

This is why it is so important for a question to be very specific.  The more we know about the program,  the more options we have.  Larry will have to pipe in on what he was really asking.  I am getting to the point where I am tired of trying to guess what the OP wants.

Heck fire,  if we want,  we can visually eliminate all materials on a roof plane.  Eliminate the shingle and the ply...  just give it an OPENING NO MATERIAL designation,  but I am assuming Larry knows that.

But then I am with you Perry,  I am at no brainer status too,  just ask the  plan checkers around this area......  I ain't even going there.

I Hear you there, at least you are going to vacation, and forget about all this. I envy you for taking these huge far away vacations. I did it when I was younger but not as good as you are now. Now, I hate getting to my far away destinations by plane, just too much sitting around waiting. I'm waiting for teleportation.

....... I'm waiting for teleportation.

I ain't sure what that is,  but it sure sounds convenient.  Is that where you can sit in your LAZY-BOY and just imagine the vacation,  you know,  when a commercial comes on during ANIMAL PLANET,  you can quickly switch over to your TELEPORTATION VACATION?

I just want the Time Viewer Remote.

I could just look at the Stock Report for tomorrow, next week, next month and invest accordingly.  Then I wouldn't have to deal with clients, engineers, plan checkers, inspectors or programmers.

I could devote almost all my time to Golf and my Wife - but I would have to do it in the reverse order.

Scott......Sorry for not piping in earlier. I've been away from the computer for a couple of days. I didn't think at the time it was necessary to make my question any clearer because just before that I was asking about showing the subfloor in the framing overview (temporarily). That was the "thought" I had in my head when I first asked the question about being able to show the roof sheeting in the 3d framing overview, but it looks like the "thought" was only in my head and no one else.  :rolleyes:  And yes I do realize it can be done the way Rich describes. Like you said, there are many ways to do it in the context of Rich's way. I was thinking "temporary".

Everybody knows that?

Well..... did you know that the great pyramids were a mistake? B)

Everybody knows that?

Well..... did you know that the great pyramids were a mistake? B)

Wasn't that a commercial? Next question..... Which commercial? Progressive insurance or the two guys who sing..... Another insurance commercial.... Nuts..... I can hear it, just can't remember the company, obviously not a good commercial.

Wasn't that a commercial? Next question..... Which commercial? Progressive insurance or the two guys who sing..... Another insurance commercial.... Nuts..... I can hear it, just can't remember the company, obviously not a good commercial.

GEICO

Yeah, the two guys singing....

Man, you're all messed up. :D

That's a different campaign. The "happier than _" series.

The best one was happier than a camel on hump day.

This one is the "15 minutes could save you 15% - Everybody

knows that - Well did you know that _" series. Got it? ;)