Oculus Rift + Chief Architect

HamlinBC

I've been tasked with looking into this, and just wondering if anyone has any input on it?...

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/rift/

http://smartreality.co/oculus-rift-leap-motion-virtual-reality-in-construction/

We'd really like to go with something like this to stay cutting edge, and also give our customers a better experience.

Has anyone tried this?...

Can Chief even support this?...

I'm hoping to get some insight from you guys, and also Chief Engineers...I will also probably bring it up at the UGM :)

I'm going to be persistent!

The images that get generated for the Oculus Rift are just slightly different than what gets generated on a plain monitor. This is necessary to get the 3D effect, in the same way that the 3D movie in a theater is projected. Thus the software creating the image needs to know what what kind of image to generate. Once you get a Chief model into Sketchfab, Sketchfab will generate the correct kind of image. Chief doesn't do that natively. (Yet.)

As interesting as this looks, I am more interested in a similar offering called, I believe it was, Brigade.   Odd name, but it is a real time ray trace gaming environment very similar to Octane Render.  The difference is that Brigade is real time with no pixelation when the camera is moving.

From what I understand the gaming visors can be disorienting or even cause nausea.  Not so good for your average home design customer as it is for hard core gamers.  The idea is great though and will hopefully become more useful as the cost come down and the technologies improve.  From what I understand the next few months will see some major changes in this arena.

There are beta versions of some of these new technologies available, but I have not taken the time to check them out.