Sudden Z-Fighting Like Symptoms

HumbleChief

I was surprised by how little I needed to move the camera before these artifacts started showing on my machine. In other plans, the camera usually needs to be much further away before there are problems, and you start seeing typical Z-fighting issues before these shadows.

Legacy shadows shouldn't have these artifacts.

Brad, Thanks for your attention. I was able to duplicate the problem by, as you suggested, moving the camera way out using the 'O' key and correcting it by using the 'I' (move camera in) key. Interesting, never knew about this phenomenon. Hope it helps others. Here's a quick vid showing the phenom.

ohhhhh  left your plan open in another tab and it is now showing weirdness in the terrain , road, driveway turf etc , while at high angles only ,not seeing it on the house.

am in Pre. Flr Overview too , Pre. Full Overview is fine so far.....

Hey Mick try the 'I' and 'O' key and see if you can duplicate - never knew this, and thank you for your help.

Did you try the 300" tip ? not sure if it is working or not and is only usually needed on larger terrains not one this size.

I was aware of the zooming vs move in move out with the cam. 

but moving the cam way out , rotating the model till it  looked bad (black)  and then zooming back in ...it is really bad...

post-315-0-68982900-1440098484_thumb.jpg

Larry,

The reason that you are seeing different behaviour depending on wether you are using the scroll wheel or the in & out hotkeys to zoom is that you have Zoom Using Field of View checked in the render preferences. 

When this is checked, zooming in and out with the scrollwheel leaves the camera in the same position and just changes the Field of View so that it looks like you are zooming by moving the camera - BUT, the camera isn't actually moving - the FOV is changing to make it look like a zoom.

Also, when this is checked using the in and out hotkeys (or the arrow keys) the camera actually moves and the FOV stays the same.

(I am assuming that the in and out hotkeys do this as I can't test as I have changed my hot keys).

So..when you are playing around in the vid with the different zoom methods, you are getting different results. 

You can see the above effects if you tile your 3D view and plan view and note what happens to the camera in plan view as you use the different methods to zoom.

Have a play with the Zoom Using Field of View setting toggled on and off and see what the differences are. 

Larry,

The reason that you are seeing different behaviour depending on wether you are using the scroll wheel or the in & out hotkeys to zoom is that you have Zoom Using Field of View checked in the render preferences. 

When this is checked, zooming in and out with the scrollwheel leaves the camera in the same position and just changes the Field of View so that it looks like you are zooming by moving the camera - BUT, the camera isn't actually moving - the FOV is changing to make it look like a zoom.

Also, when this is checked using the in and out hotkeys (or the arrow keys) the camera actually moves and the FOV stays the same.

(I am assuming that the in and out hotkeys do this as I can't test as I have changed my hot keys).

So..when you are playing around in the vid with the different zoom methods, you are getting different results. 

You can see the above effects if you tile your 3D view and plan view and note what happens to the camera in plan view as you use the different methods to zoom.

Have a play with the Zoom Using Field of View setting toggled on and off and see what the differences are. 

Yeah thanks Glenn, I tried to explain that discovery in that last video, poorly apparently. Thanks for the help as always. Didn't know about the check box for FOV. Luckily the fix was really easy, just hadn't seen it before.

Did you find a solution Larry? Guess I missed something.....

Yes Mick, the last video actually has the solution within it, but you may have to listen carefully. The distance that the camera is away from the structure creates/solves the problem.

If you see the artifacts the camera is too far away. You can move the camera in closer by hitting the 'I' key, then scrolling back out with the mouse wheel. It really is as simple as that.

For some reason the distance of my camera was too far away, by default. Don't know why but just moving the camera in closer by pressing the 'I' key solved it.

Brad_M is actually a Chief technician and he spotted the problem right away but I didn't learn about the 'I' and 'O' key till I got a response from Taylor at tech support suggesting I try that.

Thanks for your help Mick, and I hope that answers your question.

Thanks Larry , so it's not really a Zfighting issue then ....something to do with Shadows by what Brad_M said ... didn't realise he was from CA either, most of them have the Green CA Avatar.

Like you I didn't think you could be "too far away" by clicking on the Camera Icon....but.....what do I know :)  

They should add this info to the Flickering Textures KB article if that's the case....  someone else if bound to run into it too. 

Mick.

• 1 month later...

I've been having a problem with z-fighting roof planes for the last week or so as I'm starting to model a large property with multiple buildings.  It's really bad in perspective overview.  It is not an issue in the other camera views and is not an issue when raytraced.  I hadn't seen the problem in quite a while and just searched on the forum here to try to remember what work-arounds were suggested.  Adjusting the Camera Spec clipping to 300" solved the problem, as did the camera zoom/"I" key suggestion.  Thanks!

Before I got to these helpful hints, I realized that it is the roof sheathing material that was fighting with the roofing material, so I changed the sheathing to a solid color that is close to the roofing color and that solved the problem enough to show the model "live" to the client.  But glad to know the better fixes!

• 5 weeks later...