Sudden Z-Fighting Like Symptoms

HumbleChief

Larry, I think this happened to me before, and by placing a check mark  Hide Terrain Intersected by the Building solved that problem. Check make sure that window has a check mark in Terrain specification box in General tab way at the bottom.

It's checked - thanks Greg.

Does it only manifest using a specific camera type (does it also happen in vector view for instance?). What are you render camera settings? Try changing the settings and see if that helps at all. DJP

Only in the 'Perspective Floor Overview' and I really don't want to change my camera settings as this hasn't happened ever in any other plan so I don't want to mess up the settings that have been very very good to his point.

this is the KBA on Z fighting.........did you change the clipping distance to 300" (default is 24")  this helps if it zfighting usually

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00107/troubleshooting-why-materials-appear-to-flicker-when-a-camera-view-is-rotated.html

Definitely not Z-Fighting  - confirmed with tech - but it kinda sorta looks like it.

Perspective Floor Overview showed the problem and it's coming and going now. One view port is good another bad. Still on Win 7, all vid drivers up to date. Never seen it before and seems to be plan specific. I created some custom materials and seemed to happen after that but makes no sense that that's the problem.

Probably going to have to chalk it up to experience and just get r through this plan and presentation.

This is a self-shadowing problem non-legacy shadows have that is related to z-fighting. How far is the camera from the model? These shadow artifacts will occur when the camera is far from the model, and since zooming using the scroll wheel doesn't move the camera, you may not realize how far the camera is from the model.

This is a self-shadowing problem non-legacy shadows have that is related to z-fighting. How far is the camera from the model? These shadow artifacts will occur when the camera is far from the model, and since zooming using the scroll wheel doesn't move the camera, you may not realize how far the camera is from the model.

Camera is however far is it when clicking the button. Never adjusted or had to mess with camera distance before but I'll check it in plan view. Thanks Brad..

I think you only get shadows in Full Overview , assuming they are on in the Render Prefs.   not in Floor overviews

Did you try turning off Soft and Legacy shadows in the Render Prefs ?   I have both off by default

Camera is however far is it when clicking the button. Never adjusted or had to mess with camera distance before but I'll check it in plan view. Thanks Brad..

I was surprised by how little I needed to move the camera before these artifacts started showing on my machine. In other plans, the camera usually needs to be much further away before there are problems, and you start seeing typical Z-fighting issues before these shadows.

Did you try turning off Soft and Legacy shadows in the Render Prefs ?   I have both off by default

Legacy shadows shouldn't have these artifacts.

ohhhhh  left your plan open in another tab and it is now showing weirdness in the terrain , road, driveway turf etc , while at high angles only ,not seeing it on the house.

am in Pre. Flr Overview too , Pre. Full Overview is fine so far.....