Win10 "Undo" MUCH MUCH faster

VisualDandD

I made the jump to win10 and one thing I noticed is that my "undo" function is MUCH faster.   Like 1/4 to 1/3 the normal time.

I have a fast system

i7 4790k overclocked

32g 1600 mem

Multiple ssid drives

GTX970...etc

Anyway....even with mutliple windows both 3d and floor plan, undo updates VERY quickly.   This is a huge improvement in work flow for me.  I use Undo quite a bit. 

Just wanting to see if anyone else has notice this.

I switched to Win 10 on my laptop, although I haven't done anything in Chief on it at all.  But, it seems to me even just file browsing is much snappier as well.  Still gonna wait a bit longer to do it on my main desktop.  You do need several hours to update other softwares and drivers.  Can't afford the down time in the office just yet.

Perry - my invite didn't come either....I just googled it and found the download link and installed.  I think if you haven't rec'd an invite then something happened.

I use the Pro version and It's not ready for me yet, something in the registry. I have to wait until they fix it.

We didn't get the invite either, and had to also manually download and install (because we're joined to a domain).

I've installed Win10 on my PC and another PC just to run tests.  So far we haven't had to spend "several hours" installing drivers and software, and it's be very painless.  We just did the upgrade option though.

I've been tempted to redo mine with a clean install just to see how it all operates.

Anyways, I've noticed that overall Chief seems a little snappier (undo's and other aspects).  Other programs, and Windows itself is much quicker as well.

You can Clean install if you use the Media Creator and make the DVD or USB Key to install it , generally it is probably better to go Clean every few years to get rid of the "gunk" but can be a bit of work..... Think I'll let it upgrade 1st and see how things go then perhaps spend the time to do a Clean install if all is well.

Media Creator

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I use the Pro version and It's not ready for me yet, something in the registry. I have to wait until they fix it.

I am on Win 7 Pro and received the invite one or two days after release. I haven't updated yet. I am one who usually waits and lets the dust settle before jumping in. In addition, I am accumulating as much feedback from those who updated to 10 about M$'s direction to want to completely control my computer systems. I am saving the "secret handshakes" on how to turn as much of this crap off as possible for when I do upgrade - probably 4-6 months.

Mike

You can Clean install if you use the Media Creator and make the DVD or USB Key to install it , generally it is probably better to go Clean every few years to get rid of the "gunk" but can be a bit of work..... Think I'll let it upgrade 1st and see how things go then perhaps spend the time to do a Clean install if all is well.

Media Creator

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The problem for me with a clean install is that it takes about 3 days for me to re-install all my app's. Don't have an extra 3 days for that right now.

The problem for me with a clean install is that it takes about 3 days for me to re-install all my app's. Don't have an extra 3 days for that right now.

Not to mention what has become a colossal PITA 

deactivating and reactivating all your applications.

Lord help you if you should forget to deactivate

one and have to go begging to the vendor to get

back an installation that you are entitled to.

Not to mention what has become a colossal PITA 

deactivating and reactivating all your applications.

Lord help you if you should forget to deactivate

one and have to go begging to the vendor to get

back an installation that you are entitled to.

in the bad old days , yes ran into that one....several times as SSD's died , thankfully today said Co. allows online deactivating from any computer ..

More than likely the reason undo is faster is because when you upgraded the OS the temporary files are deleted. One the regular maintenance things that you must do on Windows to keep it responsive is to periodically delete the temporary files. This remains the same in Windows 10. Over time, if you don't do this, eventually the OS will start to become sluggish again as it has in the past because temporary files are not automatically cleaned up on Windows.