User at GTA (Greater Toronto Area), Canada

NewAsia

I'm a CA Premier X7 user. I would like to make a User group at GTA. Would love to your reply!

I will give you a tip.  I ain't going to happen.  Many people including myself have tried to put together a local user group.  I do not think it has ever happened with any success.  Even if you were to get one or two people to join,  what level of expertise do they have?

My suggestion would be to use this CHIEFTALK community as your go-to resource.  Within this forum you will find many many users who unselfishly give of their time to help out others.  Give it a try.

BTW,  my local user group consists of Joe Carrick,  and the only thing we do together is play golf.  This activity would be very enjoyable for me,  but this guy is about 187 years old and he beats me every time.  Love you Joe.

I'd like to join your group. I'm architect with about 25 years experiences and i'm using X1,X5 and X6. I didn't find serious members to discussion about using and problems of this great software or other professional acts. There is only a fun club. Most of them didn't read their PM for several weeks.

Anyway I'm glad to join group.

Ouch Kodyak ...you talking about the Forums here? you don't spend enough time here if that is the case , you can ask anything ,anytime of day and almost always get a great answer as Scott pointed out above. Maybe you need to participate more ?  just MHO

M.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I would like to use this area for OBC questions.  Like for example, how come there is no LVL table in part 9 of the code?

How come there are no tables for beams on exterior walls except for lintels?

• 11 months later...
On 6/21/2018 at 8:50 AM, Doug_N said:

I would like to use this area for OBC questions.  Like for example, how come there is no LVL table in part 9 of the code?

How come there are no tables for beams on exterior walls except for lintels?

My guess is that LVL's, PVL's, Glulams and other Beams come in too many stress grades and can only be reliably sized by using structural calculations.  That's something that generally requires either a Structural Engineer or an Architect.

Joe, that is the strange part, Glulams are covered in the code, as are engineered I-joists.  LVLs are stronger than regular lumber but you can't even use them without an engineer stamping the drawings AND making a report after a site visit after the install.  My argument is that if the company provides an engineer certified span table, then a designer should be able to select that member and use it according to the manufacturer's recommendations.  

2 hours ago, Corrcadd99 said:

Hello,

Looking for to outsource some work for Working Drawings Doc.  (Experience with the Ontairio Building Code and residential design)

Located in Niagara Falls, ON.

Thank you,

Mike

Mike, your post is ambiguous because it is not clear if you are looking for help, or are offering to help others.