Project Browser, Wall Detail

gelbuilding

"Wall Layer 3" is telling you that the framing layer is layer number 3 in the wall definition - it's not the wall detail name.

To get the wall detail name to display automatically, open the text box that says "Wall Layer 3" and use the Insert...Global...Plan Info..."View Name" macro.

This will display the name of the wall detail as it appears in the Project Browser.

Did you know that you can change the name of the wall detail in the Project Browser by right clicking and Rename. 

This is then reflected in the above text box if you use the "View Name" macro.

post-106-0-74563500-1439990084_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-99078500-1439990188_thumb.jpg

I put the Following in the Default Labels for Exterior & Interior Walls:

Wall - %floor_number%.%wall_id%  ---  %wall_type%

Which causes all new walls to be have a more descriptive name in the Project Browser.  If you don't want the wall type to b included you could just use:

Wall - %floor_number%.%wall_id%

This will make each Wall Label unique.

It would be nice if there was a Default for the Wall Detail Title.

Very Strange i placed  %view.name% in the default settings, interior and exterior walls and still didn't work.

If i place macro in each wall label only then will it work.

Anyhow thanks Glenn and Joe at least you have steered me in the right direct. 

Very Strange i placed  %view.name% in the default settings, interior and exterior walls and still didn't work.

If i place macro in each wall label only then will it work.

Anyhow thanks Glenn and Joe at least you have steered me in the right direct. 

The Defaults only work for "New Walls".  For Existing Walls you need to edit the Name in the Project Browser.  Basically, when a wall is created, the Name in the Project Browser is set according to what the "Default Label" is.  That is the "View Name".

%view_name% just returns what the name is in the Project Browser.

Maybe I missed a step but I was renaming views in the PB but have now inserted a variation on Joe's marco above

Wall %wall_id% - FLR %floor_number%               

so I get Wall No# - FLR#  as the new view name in the PB  ,  is there no way to make the view name, the Default Text instead of the Wall Layer # Text  which I don't care about , does anyone?

Or do you have to insert the View name as Glenn suggested on each view manually?  where is it pulling this info from?  can we change it?

Maybe I missed a step but I was renaming views in the PB but have now inserted a variation on Joe's marco above

Wall %wall_id% - FLR %floor_number%               

so I get Wall No# - FLR#  as the new view name in the PB  ,  is there no way to make the view name, the Default Text instead of the Wall Layer # Text  which I don't care about , does anyone?

Or do you have to insert the View name as Glenn suggested on each view manually?  where is it pulling this info from?  can we change it?

Yes, you have to do it manually as Glenn said. 

Placing the macros (Chief's actually) in the Default Wall Labels only makes the title in the Project Browser for new Walls take on that data.  For existing Walls you have to edit the Project Browser names.  %view_name% reads the title from the Project Browser.

You can't put those macros in the titles in the Project Browser.

Ok I was hoping someone knew where the Wall layer text box got it's info from (or why it's even there)....

thx  for the heads up on the Wall labelling macro , one less thing I don't need to redo manually in the PB.

M.

Ok I was hoping someone knew where the Wall layer text box got it's info from (or why it's even there)....

Mick,

I think the default text indicating the wall framing layer is there to cover the cases when a wall has more than one framing layer.

In that case, you get a wall framing detail for each framing layer , named Wall Layer 2, Wall Layer 3, for example.

The name in the cad framing view title bar will be the same as listed in the PB and is editable. 

post-106-0-21843600-1440038736_thumb.jpg

Hi Mick,

What ever i  do the wall lay text always comes back.

Maybe because im modifying the wall its defaulting this text.

cannot understand how to get rid of it.

I changed the default label in walls to Auto, and got rid of all macros.

The wall label now read wall Detail 1 and 2 and so on, though this extra text label "'wall Layer 3'' comes back automatically no mater what i do.

You are correct , if you alter the wall the Wall Layer# text comes back by default , it gets the no# from the Framing Layer in your Wall's definition , it isn't always 3.  Might be 4 or 6 or whatever depending on what is outside the Framing Layer ie building paper, rainscreening , rigid insulation, sheathing, ,siding etc.

If you delete the Auto text ,not the Box, just the text  inside it and add the view name macro it will also stay in the view even if CA re-adds the default Wall Layer text again , it just maybe hard to see as it is under the new Wall Layer Text ,  pull the new Wall layer text down and you will find the one you inserted the Macro into as well.(1st pic)

Joe meant for you to check the Wall Layer Text's Layer , not the Wall's Layer 3 and turn it off , see the 2nd pic below . Turn that Layer off in Layout and Assign the Textbox with the Viewname macro to a new Layer copied from the 1st one and renamed, (see 3rd pic) leave the View name Macro Text Layer on in Layout.   

post-315-0-32855300-1440124273_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-65422500-1440124402_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-92314900-1440124793_thumb.jpg

M.

I think the reason  for this extra label that no one seems to want is there for a reason.

I have realized that you have another name for the wall to state which room side you are looking at the wall.

CA pretty smart we always jump to blame the program lol.

Hi Mick,

Finally got it sorted.

As you mentioned "delete the text inside the box, not the box"  I left the text out and amazingly the text doesn't appear anymore.

Thanks  Mick, Joe and Glenn.

Yes , I think that's right as long as you don't alter the wall , then it re-inserts the default layer # text.

M.