Reversed version of plan linked to original source plan

DianeP

Can anyone help me????

I do work for a production builder.  I make reversed version of every house plan I do for them.  They will do front, side and 3 car side entry garage versions on most all plans.  There are always modifications they come back with and I end up having to do the changes on all these copies of the plan.  Does Chief Architect have a way to link the source plan to the other copies?  I have been doing their work thus far in AutoCAD.... very time consuming.  I have Chief X5 with the subscriptions for the later versions.  Haven't the computer to run the more recent versions, yet.  

Thank you for your time,

Diane

Can anyone help me????

I do work for a production builder.  I make reversed version of every house plan I do for them.  They will do front, side and 3 car side entry garage versions on most all plans.  There are always modifications they come back with and I end up having to do the changes on all these copies of the plan.  Does Chief Architect have a way to link the source plan to the other copies?  I have been doing their work thus far in AutoCAD.... very time consuming.  I have Chief X5 with the subscriptions for the later versions.  Haven't the computer to run the more recent versions, yet.  

Thank you for your time,

Diane

Great question,  however I do not think you can do what you want to do.  What you want to do is change two different  plans  (a normal plan and a reverse plan),  no,  you cannot change one and auto change the other.  I think you have to change each separately.  Would be nice if you could do what you want,  but you can not.

Scott another question if/ when you have time.... If this was you would you approach it by making the changes in one version and then reversing that version to make the other hand again instead of going back to make the changes a second time.  Thinking about best way to do it and not accidentally miss anything.   I also thought about coping the areas changed and then doing a paste hold position into the other plan versions after I delete the affected areas. Each plan would have its own layout pages.  Just looking for ideas on best approach to accomplish the changes as quickly as possible.  

Scott another question if/ when you have time.... If this was you would you approach it by making the changes in one version and then reversing that version to make the other hand again instead of going back to make the changes a second time.  Thinking about best way to do it and not accidentally miss anything.   I also thought about coping the areas changed and then doing a paste hold position into the other plan versions after I delete the affected areas. Each plan would have its own layout pages.  Just looking for ideas on best approach to accomplish the changes as quickly as possible.  

Ideally you would get it right before you flipped the plan,  but you and I know that rarely happens.  

The paste and hold works...  if it works.....  

bottom line,  the way you handle any editing is on a case by case basis......  what I do know is sometimes we overthink simplifying the changes,  and it is faster just to do the changes instead of spending too much time trying to speed  up the changes.......  and I just said a bunch of nonsense that if I am lucky,  someone understood.

No super easy answer.   

Diane I use to do work like that, I would take the file that I wanted to change with all the information in it the make a copy of that file and rename it to the new client, make the changes that the new client wanted to have then relink that file to the new copied layout sheet in the copied file and the changes should take place, you might have to do some work on the elevations but relinking the floor plans should work, been a while since I have done any work for them but give that a try

I must be missing something in the question.  The drop down menu tools/reverse plan does not do all that you need?

You do a base plan with a 2 car garage... Then there is a 3 car garage version of it, then Garage right side and Garage left side. Now they decide to make a major change in the Master Bathroom.. She wants to keep what is common to all 4 files in one place so the revision is done only in one place.

In my CAD program careful cut and paste gets it done but in Chief cut and paste is dangerous for large sections of the file.

Softplan has had a building options feature for a few years now

It seemed interesting and I have been suggesting to CA that with "total" layer control

Chief could maybe have that feature also

Chief also has a "lame" implementation of Ruby

with a full implementation of Ruby and a recordable macro feature

there could be a script for each option with sub-routines for the common areas

update the sub-routine(s) and all the options would be updated

but alas, Chief doesn't have those features at this time

Lew