Cabinet inset doors with a bead on the frame

Clare_White

Hello

Doing a kitchen design with inset doors, it is requested to have a bead on the frame of the box. Explanation; where the cut out for the door or drawer is a bead profile is on the frame of the box, see picture. Anyway to do this besides making the cabinet box custom. 

FB(2).jpg

There was a discussion a while back and a few solutions were found. Attached is zip with a couple of plans and libraries using two approaches I came up with.

One is to make door symbols with the frame and use them as full overlay doors- the other is to make door symbols with just a bead and use those as traditional overlay doors. If I remember correctly someone also tried a door symbol with a bead that they used as an inset. (gives an extra space between the door)

Should give you some ideas.

Beaded Inset Trad.zip

Clare.....Depending on how particular you are with the final outcome I'll give you what I came up with. I made a custom door and drawer with a 1/4" "no material" edge around the custom door and drawer. This left a 5/16" open area around the doors and drawers when they are placed in a cabinet. I then added a 3D P-line and attached a 1/4" bead around the face of the frame. It's a real PITA, especially if you have a lot of cabinets. The next best solution is to make a custom door/drawer with a 1/4" bead on the outside edge. This gives you a 1/16" space between the bead and face frame though, but it is by far a lot faster. I think I made a suggestion for an option for adding beaded frames to cabinets. You can add your "2 cents" to that suggestion.........The "squeaky wheel" gets greased! 

...The next best solution is to make a custom door/drawer with a 1/4" bead on the outside edge. This gives you a 1/16" space between the bead and face frame though, but it is by far a lot faster.

Larry- you can eliminate the gap- set symbol Y origin to 13/16, cabinet front to traditional overlay with 0" overlaps.

Have to use false drawer for drawers or the drawer box pokes through the front, and use a two door symbol as "door panel" for two door cabinets so hardware and swing indicators are manually placed.

post-85-0-07921800-1439838408_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-36655900-1439838415_thumb.jpg

I have to get back to this later, sounds like fussy work to get the inset bead correct.

Myself I like to keep things simple.

The project is a large kitchen for kinda a fussy interior designer. Lets see what I can get away with, the general contractor put me on a budget. Kinda like being on a diet.