Schedules In The Plan or a CAD Detail?

HumbleChief

I am experimenting with the Window/Door Schedules in separate CAD details, instead of part of the plan view, and miss the ease of having the Schedule with the plan while modifying the schedule. Of course I can open the CAD detail in another window and observe changes data but it's an extra step and an extra monitor (I have 3) and am not quite sure of the benefit yet. Biggest benefit I can see is that the schedule will have it place on the Layout pre-defined and pre-sent to Layout.

Curious, what do you do? Schedules in plan view or a CAD detail? Other?

Thanks you guys, do you have them open in a CAD window while working with windows/sizes/changes to insure the Schedule(s) stay correct? I've had them in my plans forever. Seems easy enough, just another habit to develop.

OT - Off for my Sunday morning Ocean swim  - love it - the water is really nice in San Diego right now.

CAD Details - IMO the only way to go.  I don't want anything in the Plan that would increase the boundary of what I send to Layout.  It's just complicates things too much.  Most CAD Detail Windows get sent to Layout on different Sheets than the Plans.  Some CAD Detail Windows are just work product, substituting for the Library where things are just applicable to this project or are more convenient places to store and access.

Note that CAD Detail Windows also have an "editable name"  which can then be used with the macro %view_name%.  This is a very nice way to get the view named in the Layout without having to use the Layout Box Label.

I have had them in the plan, but willing to try a cad detail--next new job. I have noticed that having them in the plan sometimes causes them to re-size (get larger) for no reason. Why, I don't know but I'm getting tired of it.

When you guys are saying put everything not part of the main plan in CAD Details - I guess id love to understand more what you mean.

Do you use CAD details for sections cuts of the building?  You guys are ok losing update-able sections?...or are you bringing them in someway they can still be updated by the app?

If CA is watching this thread, I would really love to see a video series on "best practices" for plan organization.  The video library currently shows what you can do, but id actually like to see what we should be doing for the most efficient workflow.

• Upvote 1

If you move your cursor over one of the toolbars at the top, you'll see one for "cad detail management", OR you could go to the cad tab at the top and scroll down to cad detail management. I keep a lot of things there that I send to the layout. You can take any view and use cad detail from view, and it will place it in a cad detail which can be found in the cad detail management. If you send a plan, elevation or whatever (except a schedule), it will not be "live". Schedules remain "live" in a cad detail". 

Johnny,

Elevations and Sections are automatically in their own Window (view) separate from the Plan.  They are semi- live, but may need to be re-displayed in order to update when changes are made to the Plan.  

Sections can be trimmed by limiting the ends of the Section Cut (Callout), thus creating Wall Sections.  Those can be annotated and sent to Layout at a larger scale than the Building Sections.  

For Larger Scale Details I might use a portion of one of those and as Tommy indicated use "CAD Detail From View". That kind of Detail doesn't need to be "Live".  Personally, I usually put those in "Detail Plans" since they are more generic and can be used in many different Projects.  IOW, those become 2D Details and become a part of a Detail Plan Library for use in any other Project.

I wonder why Schedules are the only thing that automatically updates in a cad detail?

Not sure that schedules are the only thing that automatically updates in a CAD Detail. I think all CAD details automatically update to the Layout. Not elevation views, but those, technically, are not CAD Details.

I don't think that's not correct.  AFAIK, all CAD Detail will automatically update in the Layout.  The only things that don't automatically update are Elevations & Sections - ie Camera Views don't automatically update to the Layout.   However, all CAD (Text, Dims, Lines, etc.) added to an Elevation or Section View will update automatically.  It's only the changes made to the Plan (Model) which effect the view that don't automatically update.

Normally, the only things that can be copyied to - or created in - a CAD Detail Window are CAD Objects.  But I once put a "Stair Section" in a CAD Detail.  I don't know how I did that but I still have that CAD Detail Window in my Default Plan ----- and I'm not going to delete it.

........  X5 allowes it but X6 & X7 don't.  So this is lost functionality - but it probably shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Interesting Joe,  so you are saying in X5 I could of created a  back clip cross section and then put that into a CAD detail.  

A while back,  I thought about doing this and I tried to do this with no success.  I am not sure why I wanted to do it and I am not sure of any advantages of being able to do this.......  if I had to guess,  I was probably  playing with the idea of auto updatable back clip cross sections.

As you implied,  not sure if this ability is needed.

Interesting Joe,  so you are saying in X5 I could of created a  back clip cross section and then put that into a CAD detail.  

A while back,  I thought about doing this and I tried to do this with no success.  I am not sure why I wanted to do it and I am not sure of any advantages of being able to do this.......  if I had to guess,  I was probably  playing with the idea of auto updatable back clip cross sections.

As you implied,  not sure if this ability is needed.

No, I don't think that would work.  Cross Sections are in their own "Camera View" Windows. and I don't see any way (or any reason) to copy them.  You do have the option to make a "New CAD Detail From View" but that's not live.  It's useful for creating larger scale CAD Details but that's about the limit.