Transferring rafters from one plan to another

Larry_Sweeney

Go to solution Solved by DRAWZILLA,

I have a plan that is mostly trusses, but there are a few places that I want to use rafters. I have two plans--one using rafters and one with trusses. I copied all the rafters from one plan and temporally set them next to my "truss plan" trusses. I then copied certain rafters over on to the trusses. Everything went well until I got to a certain area. (attachment). When I transferred rafters marked "A" over they went to nailer's between the trusses "B". Any ideas? Am I going about this correctly? I tried blocking the rafters before coping them but the block disappeared in vector view even though the layer they were on was on.

post-76-0-61659400-1396647383_thumb.jpg

Without the truss base the rafters will go to the lower rafters unless you have something else going on. Actually for me, it

would be easier to just place a new truss base and drag your trusses up the truss base. Maybe it doesn't copy and paste well.

I'll look and see if there is a video somewhere, or just make one.

Perry....Thanks for leading me in the right direction. After "playing around" with the truss base and my situation I finally got acceptable results. My situation was using the "California Tie-In", but instead of pulling trusses I wanted to use rafters over the truss base. I don't know if it was the correct way, but I made seperate roof planes just over the truss base, Highlighted those planes and had CA just build framing for those planes. I'm not sure this is the "correct" way, but I got the results that were acceptable. I seem to think Scott may have done a video on this quite a while back, but I didn't find it. Now if we could only get CA to give us the ability to do the correct framing for using rafters on a "California Tie-In". Have a great day.

I sometimes do trusses with conventional framing, like if the existing house is trusses and the addition is conventional .There has been a bug around for years now that if you had conventional framing on a second floor, the program would delete some of the trusses below, so I had to fake that part. All of my Builder clients will not buy trusses for an addition. I do know that if you have a partial plan that has trusses, the conventional part will automatically fill in with rafters/ c.j. when you frame it.