Draw beyond screen view

SNestor

I'm sure my topic heading is vague or confusing...or both.  

Here's the issue.  Say I'm drawing a wall...and I have zoomed into the plan to start the wall at a certain location...now I want to draw a wall say 30' long...but to do this, I have to draw a few feet (because I've zoomed in on the plan)...then, let go of the line, zoom out, grab the line again and finish drawing to where I want.  Sometimes I have to let go to zoom in...and then pull the line/wall to the exact location.

Ok...so, I know there has go to be a way I can hold on to the wall and zoom out...or just pull across the screen somehow?  But...how?

Thanks.

I think the Scroll Bars also work without losing the current mouse operation.

I was wondering how you would operate the scroll bars without your mouse and so I started messing around with it for a bit. By golly, you're right. Never knew this functionality existed...

Left click to start operation as usual...Move mouse pointer out of view window...Right click off screen without letting go of left mouse button...Let go of left mouse button.  Now you can use scroll bars and simply left click to finish operation.

Very cool. Thanks for starting me down the path to this little hidden feature Joe!!

I was wondering how you would operate the scroll bars without your mouse and so I started messing around with it for a bit. By golly, you're right. Never knew this functionality existed...

Left click to start operation as usual...Move mouse pointer out of view window...Right click off screen without letting go of left mouse button...Let go of left mouse button.  Now you can use scroll bars and simply left click to finish operation.

Very cool. Thanks for starting me down the path to this little hidden feature Joe!!

It was introduced in either X6 or X7.  I can't remember which.

Here is another option: Instead of using a left click to start to draw a wall, use the right mouse click. The wall will then be and stay attached to the cursor (without holding down any buttons). You are then free to zoom in and out in order to finish placing that wall segment and any others because the wall will still be attached to the cursor (you must double click to disconnect).

You can even switch views or programs (go make a cup of coffee, if you want), and when you get back to Chief the wall will still be attached to the cursor.

Here is another option: Instead of using a left click to start to draw a wall, use the right mouse click. The wall will then be and stay attached to the cursor (without holding down any buttons). You are then free to zoom in and out in order to finish placing that wall segment and any others because the wall will still be attached to the cursor (you must double click to disconnect).

You can even switch views or programs (go make a cup of coffee, if you want), and when you get back to Chief the wall will still be attached to the cursor.

Yep.  This works for drawing walls.  Unfortunately it doesn't work as well for other operations.

Steve,

Now you have 5 options.  Hopefully 1 of them will work for you.   

Grab anything on your screen and use the mouse wheel to scroll in and out while holding down the left mouse button, continue to draw when the zoom level is correct..

I use my Mouse wheel too usually or the zoom shortcut keys

A nice feature of Vectorworks is that as you move your cursor to the border of an open workspace, the workspace will automatically scroll for you.

It can be controlled by a preference setting. Extremely useful and maybe something for Chief to consider in an update...

A nice feature of Vectorworks is that as you move your cursor to the border of an open workspace, the workspace will automatically scroll for you.

It can be controlled by a preference setting. Extremely useful and maybe something for Chief to consider in an update...

That would be nice and isn't it standard windows behaviour ?

that or auto unzoom...

Should be a standard feature in any design program worth its salt.