How to insert text or "watermark" on drawings?

gr8designer

I'm one of those that started Chief awhile ago, last version was V10, then stopped because of a regular 9-5 job not using chief, and now am back again very excited about using Chief for architectural drawings! So, whatever I learned before, I have to relearn.

So, here goes....

How does one insert text or a watermark, similar to the attached Chief drawing?

Thanks for all your help!

:) post-322-0-08202200-1396637589_thumb.jpg

You may want to do a search on this topic as it has been mentioned before. There is no way to watermark a plan in Chief. All of the posts on this topic just involve various methods to hide the watermark object, but any Chief user could eventually find and eliminate it.

As Joe mentioned: I expect that Chief simply exported an image then watermarked it in Photoshop or Gimp. (See Youtube – Gimp is Free)

You can create the watermark effect in Chief by importing a transparent image for the 2D plan part and then creating a stretched material for the 3D part. But anyone who has the plan could remove it. So no reason to do as Gimp or PDF protection is better route.

There have been a few suggestions about adding password protected layers to permit this feature but were quickly “shot down” by Chief & others. So don’t expect anything. You may want to add your suggestion to Chief. – The squeaky wheel.

You can put some text, any size you want on layout page "0" and make it a very light shade of gray and it will show up on every page.

There are a lot of photo editors for free online you can use like Picmonkey, my wife uses it all the time for her photos

BTW, I use the Nuance PDF Converter.  It does have fairly extensive Watermark capabilities, including converting any image to a watermark that can be applied with whatever opacity you want.  It's simply an overlay applied to the full area of your PDF.  GIF's or PNG images with transparency work best.

Bluebeam PDF and Adobe Acrobat both have a similar feature to what Joe uses. I use it all the time on Bluebeam.  

I tried Perry's method of putting text on page 0, but if you want to see through it like a true watermark, you have to put it on the back group (drawing order), but then any objects with a solid fill are above it and it doesn't look right.

Until Chief gives us control over text opacity, it'll have to be a job for another program. 

That's nice, it works ok for me b/c the reason for a watermark on my plan is to try to keep someone from copying it. I also don't use anything with a solid black color and print in grayscale, it seems to work good that way, but I understand everyone has their own thing going on, and the watermark might not show in every s.i. instance. I also place it (in front) very large almost a full sheet size so there is no question about what it is. Light gray (barely readable) color is the key

One more important thing is ,go to preferences and check "Color off" to be grayscale. Then turn color off (button in toolbar) and everything prints to grayscale. You don't have to set all your lines to black. Don't use light colors that you want to show up good or they will be too light, those items should be on the darker side. You really have to play with it  for yourself but once set its done forever.. This gives the plan a very nice contrast tone, walls are graytone also.