How to build an arch with two columns?

Electromen

Go to solution Solved by Electromen,

A drawing is attached.

I've tried to do this using an arched doorway but I wasn't able to eliminate the jambs. I also tried soffits with a doorway.

I'm lost for ideas, I'll appreciate your help.  

I'm trying to build a round or elliptical arch with two columns on the side.

Second question; How can I build a deck wall to wall and a front for the tub that are covered with tile?

post-84-0-75869600-1396633642_thumb.jpg

So the question is why do I like my method more than the psolid or symbol method:

1.   It reads better in vector view (you get an extra line in vector view with the other method)

2.   In a section cut you get the double line which is the drywall (you do not get the double line for drywall with the other method)

3.   You get some representation of framing,  i.e. double top plates (you get no framing with the other method)

4.   You can define the size of the arch in plan view (you have to manipulate the size of the arch in elevation view with the other method)

5.   You can define the height and width of flat soffit above the posts (I don't know how you do this with the other method)

6.   If you want to change the width,  height or type of arch...  a few seconds with the method I outlined in video (with the other method.....  several minutes)

Advantages of the other method over the method I defined......  can not think of one.

Here are a couple options to expand on Scott's method. All super quick to do. A couple things to note:

1. You can get a single header over the 3 doorways by mulling them together. While that works for the framing, you lose the flooring inside the doorways in the camera views, so take your pick!  :wacko: Come on Chief... fix this! 

2. For the single wall with 2 framing layers, unfortunately Chief only recognizes one of them when building the framing. Again, please fix this Chief!!!

post-108-0-86201000-1396647136_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-78633900-1396647158_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-37617500-1396647179_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-54796600-1396647191_thumb.jpg

• Solution

I do not use Joe's method,  here is mine,  I assume they both work to some degree,  I like my method more.

http://youtu.be/b-0_Z0M0rhQ

I figured out why the framing was showing on the arch.  The height of the arch must match the difference in height of the side openings.  In other words if the side doorways are 80" high and the center doorway is 96", then the arch must be 18", or 96-80.  If the arch is more than the difference in height, then framing shows.  Setting the arch at 24" shows 6" of framing.

I figured out why the framing was showing on the arch.  The height of the arch must match the difference in height of the side openings.  In other words if the side doorways are 80" high and the center doorway is 96", then the arch must be 18", or 96-80.  If the arch is more than the difference in height, then framing shows.  Setting the arch at 24" shows 6" of framing.

ORrrr- Just wait until the end of the design - turn off auto wall framing- go to the wall detail and pull back the lintels. No need to worry about different heights. OR Just check Retain Framing for that wall