Battered Walls

johnny

I have a client who wants a Greene&Greene inspired home - including battered walls in certain areas.  My plan was to use a modeling profile the full length of my wall section - I wanted to see if anyone had a better idea - but that is the best idea I can think of.

I think I like Joe's idea though I'm not exactly sure how to implement it.

If it's only in 'certain areas' another method is to create simple poly-line solids in elevation and copy/distribute/shape ends as needed. Quicker than it seems.

I also have created a second framing Layer in the wall dbx but there were serious limitations.

You should consider using a very steeply sloping ROOF for this. It's easy to cut out openings for doors & windows, whereas with a molding polyline, you have to use multiple ones above and below openings. Of course, if you're just talking about a stone wainscot, then a molding polyline will work fine.

Edit: Sorry, mistakenly wrote "wall."

Ok, I was experimenting on how to do this (appreciate your comments) - and here is what I did:

1. Created the exterior molding line as Joe said.

2. Set the line segment along the window to no molding

3. Created a new molding line segment that matches the window

4. Bring my molding profile into a section view

5. Cut the molding profile based on the vertical window segment

6. Take the 2 new molding profiles into library

7. Set the vertical off-sets of the 2 moldings as measured in the section cut

That may seem like a lot of work per window, but I personally dont change my header heights and keep most my horizontal lines parallel.  So I may have to make a couple more sectioned moldings, but this was actually fairly fast.  I've shown pictures - but please keep in mind this is just an experiment drawings, as the real design is coming.

A few comments on things I wish I could do and I can't see a way.

1. Show the 2d molding lines differently and with a fill.  Right now I have 2 lines representing my "molding" lines.

2. Shift around the profiles in a "live" view.  I have this in other apps and its great.

3. Multiple elements like this that overlap each-other means you have to know exactly where the lines are, since there is no visual distinction.  In Vectorworks I would "group" these lines so when I double clicked every other aspect of the model greys out and I only see/edit the lines I want to work on.

Anyway, thanks again.

post-75-0-97382100-1439412758_thumb.png

post-75-0-32560900-1439412768_thumb.png

post-75-0-21374500-1439412776_thumb.png

post-75-0-95970800-1439412795_thumb.png

Johnny

Are you just looking for 3d?, if not,

How does it frame for you?

How does the foundation work for you?

What about electrical.

Are there too many lines in vector view?

Good questions that I am thinking about right now and how that might work in CA.

My client has a degree in architecture, and was a professor - but never practiced.  Whatever I do needs to pass just the visual test.

Yusuf,

Am I correct that you are using "Skylight" openings where the doors and windows are in the walls?

Sure Joe, you are about the opening. You started, let's continue questions and answers session, what do you think the white casing is?, what is the framing also? $-- question.

Yusuf,

Am I correct that you are using "Skylight" openings where the doors and windows are in the walls?

Also, one advantage to roofs is the ability to use the polyline to roof hole tool, off of the "magic wand" selections, which gives you flexibility in openings that a polyline molding does not have.