Elevation & Section Enhancements

Joe_Carrick

I'm never satisfied with the line weights sent to layout for Elevations and Sections.

If I simply send an Elevation to Layout then I have to draw over certain lines with heavier cad lines in order to get emphasis (eaves, wall edges, etc).  Subsequent changes to the Plan can make those extra CAD lines be misleading.

OTOH, if I do a View to CAD I can edit the line weights directly and then send that to Layout but any subsequent changes in the Plan are not reflected in the CAD View.

I could also edit the Section View Layerset to specify heavier lines, but that's not nearly as sophisticated a result.

How do you deal with this problem - or do you worry about it at all? 

I have created a separate annoset for every view sent to the layout so its automatic

Yep,  that is what I do,  and to be clearer,  the line weights are controlled by layers in the layer set and NOT BY EDGE LINE DEFAULTS AND PATTERN LINE DEFAULTS.....  that may be what JC is missing.

Scott, I get that but when one wall is closer than another, I want different line weights.  I also want the edges of the eaves to be heavier.  Using a heavier line weight for Walls, Normal for example doesn't do just the vertical edges but also the bottom of the stucco or siding.  IOW, I am somewhat like JPC - where is he anyway - in that I want my drawings to be a bit more artistic.  The edges of things that are closer should be heavier than similar objects that are further away.

ok here is not the best one but one I can find quickly, I did a closer view so you could see some difference

Looks good P.  Yeah Joe,   the artistic look will take more time,  that ain't for me,  what P. just showed is good enough for me.  If I want something really nice,  I will include a 3D view which is a thousand times better than any 2D representation and it takes less time.

I get what you are  trying to do,  you are thinking as a hand drafter would think,  I am past that,  there are some things I am willing to give up on working with the computer.  

You can adjust a line drawing squiggled to get kind of a hand drawn look, but I really use a watercolor with lines and shadows to get a pretty cool look. One thing in that method, I don't use a lot of the line shaping tool to get a cleaner look to it

Scott, you know I learned everything from you. Back then, you were better than the classes we attended.   Unless anyone doesn't know, workarounds are in play in this game, and you are the best there ever was, but Joe's catching up fast.

Would you guys mind explaining in more detail how you use Annosets to get that look in the elevations?  I've tried but seem to have failed. Maybe a screen shot of the layer annoset that produces those fine images.

My system is pretty easy. I take a camera view and make a copy of that camera view set and call it ELEVATIONS, EXTERIOR.

I then turn off everything I don't see ( cabinets, interior fixtures, interior furniture, etc....) and hit the button for SELECT ALL

turn all the layers to black, and then set all the line weights to a thin number (this depends on the settings you have, mine is set to 2)

Now I set the WALLS, EXTERIOR , ROOFS, whatever I want thick, to a thicker line weight (again, depends on your settings but mine is 18)

When you send to layout make sure that the boxes are unchecked that take control from your layers and place it on the layout. You want to control the line weights, not the layout.

Hope this helps.

post-70-0-77931100-1396738754_thumb.jpg

Elevation layerset is to large to show and get it all in.. basically walls are 45, roof planes are 75 and windows are 20 . you must also lighten any roofing material or siding using a light gray color and a thinner lineweight. Play around with it and get it just how you like it. I can still go further now that casings have their own layer, they can outline the windows and doors, just haven't done it yet. I only rely on my elevations for information, the real pop comes from a 3d view in watercolor with lines and shadows, it also prints up better than a standard view in grayscale.

The Great Scott once did a Saturday session on this topic and may have some old video's on this, I think Joey was also there.. It was very informative as usual.

Hey Perry,

How about just exporting your Elevation Layerset and posting it.  Oh, I just noticed that you can only export ALL LAYERSETS and I don't know if anyone would be willing to share all of their Layersets.  Actually, I would not want to get all of Scott's Layersets.....  I think he has about 500.  Every time I watched one of his videos where he was showing use of Annosets and Layersets my head starts to spin ;) ;) :rolleyes::wacko:

I'll send them to you,Joe, but they really aren't anything special, as I just add the layers I need as I go along, so most of my jobs are a little different. I try not to have mega- layers like Scott. Its just too much for me to think about.  Of course, I have all the usual layers that I always use but the anno-set is the key to fast switching as you know. 

• Upvote 2

• 8 months later...

That was a screen grab from layout. Yes you can put notes to it and dimensions. I don't have time for a quick image tour but it goes something like this:

1. make a layerset for your elevation that only has the dimensions and notes present

2. with your standard vector view showing send to layout, choose the send option for "current screen"

3. Very important, don't change your camera view at all now. Now change from vector to your rendered view with shadows and send that view to layout, now "current as image" will be your only option. This now gives you matching layout box sizes. You can now snap the layout box for your rendered view to match the vector view. Now you have a rendered view at scale and you can have your notes and dimensions in just the right location (make that layout box the top layer).

I really wish CA will take on fixing this, unless there is another way of doing it?

Alan did a very good job of detailing the method.  The problem with this is the elevation is not live.  So the elevation needs to be resent to layout after any editing...  a PITA.  That is why many of us are advocating for auto u updatable elevations....  and it would be great if shadows were an option too.  REVIT does it,  why can't CA?  I know there is a reason,  but let's get past that and just do it.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty slow when it comes to this tweak of the black and white elevation views having heavier line weights as shown by the above people.

So I take a standard "elevation camera view" and I turn on my Layer set and annoset for elevations. In the annoset dialog for layer control

we then turn on just want we want for elevations, but to get the line weights we then adjust things like "roof planes" to a thicker line weight?

but I don't see the layer name for roof hatching to turn that to a grey tone?  I do for walls and wall hatching.  Although the line weight ends up

light for roof hatching, I'm just not sure how that happened.

I see I've got that wall hatching confused with the plan view interior hatching.  So I'm not sure how to set line weights in elevation views. Could

someone do a screen shot of the dialog box to show and example of changing to the roof and walls?