Add to Library Button

gregoran

Hi,

I have what should be a simple simple question.   I am trying to make a round column.  I have a profile that I want to "add to Library".  I can not find the button.  It is not under "Edit", and or Tools/Symbol.  I have done a search for this on Google and here. Everyone just says click on the "Add to Library" button like it is right in front of me.

Suggestions?

Greg

That button is on the Edit Toolbar aftere you select the object.  Many objects can be added to the library but some can't.  Stairs, Rooms & Roof Planes for example are not available for adding to the Library.  OTOH, some objects such as Solids can be Blocked and then the Block can be added.

Thanks,  I am trying to evaluate this software on whether our office should switch to it.  I am trying to make a column we use in AC.  I have created a separate profile which is much simpler to see if my column profile is off, upon grabbing the profile, it fills in gray which I assume means it is a closed loop, and there the button shows up at the bottom of my screen in my Edit "Toolbar" not in the drop down menu from above. 

Thanks for you help. I am not sure who to ask on these simple questions as I try to do things in this new program.  

Greg,

AC is basically 2D.  Chief is 3D so you have to look at what tools are available to build using 3D objects.  You almost have to forget about CAD Lines, Circles, etc.  Chief uses Walls to define Rooms and a variety of Symbols (which have a 2D Block associated with them).  For example, a Round Post (Framing) can be placed in a Room and it will look like a circle in the Plan View.  But when you display a Perspective Floor Overview, you will see that it is really a Post.

We don't really draw much with Chief, it's more like "building" a 3D model and then sending various Views to Layout.  In fact, done correctly with the proper setup of Plan and Layout Defaults the ConDocs practically complet themselves.

BTW, you really should view the training videos.  It'll give you a much better understanding of what a paradigm shift this is from AC.

grey is the default selection color ,(which can be changed eg pink works well)  so if you get it you have a closed polyline assuming you are talking about a CAD circle? for whatever reason in CA if you use the CAD circle, box, etc Tools ,although they are closed by default , you still can't add them to the library , but draw a box out of CAD lines and when it closes you can add it to the Library. However, the pre-drawn Tool items you can add by --- convert to polyline solid --- then convert to plain polyline in two clicks and then add them to the Library , but as Joe and the others mentioned for columns etc there are easier and better ways.

M.

CA Doric Column.pdf

Thanks for your help.  Attached is where I am at so far.   I am trying to evaluate this software to see if it can do what we need.  I have figured out how to make this profile a closed loop.  It was tedious.  For those not looking at the attachment, Imagine going all the way around an outline of a column you would see in Rome; starting with the centerline (not actually the centerline, it is offset 1/2" - using a one inch square and circle as the moulding line) and click the line, then click the connect edit button then click the adjacent line. In the case of an arch, not clicking the whole arc, but a segment of the arc; going around the whole profile.  95 percent of the column is cylindrical.  The top and the bottom are square in plan. So now you will see I have the three pieces: square top, round middle, and square bottom.  Now to figure out how to put them in line on top of each other.

Gregoran,

This isn't difficult to do in chief, you just have to learn the correct tools and methods. Here is a column I threw together in about 2 minutes, less the square base. Simply draw the column profile, then draw a circle, convert the circle to a molding polyline and assign the column profile as the molding.

post-95-0-76090800-1439396488_thumb.pngpost-95-0-63800700-1439396501_thumb.png

I know it's an ugly column, but I just did this to illustrate the technique. If you had been more clear in your OP about what you were trying to accomplish, we could have given you better advice sooner.

Even more importantly, there are existing Symbols in Chief that can be used for almost anything.  The attached pic shows a section of the Library with the kind of Columns you are talking about.  There's no need to create them from scratch.

If you do need to create such objects it's pretty easy to assemble the pieces, display in a 3D view and "Convert to a Symbol".  An existing Symbol can also be placed in a blank plan, displayed in 3D, modified and converted to a new Symbol.

post-47-0-35896700-1439397676_thumb.jpg

Thanks Robert and Joseph,   I had found those columns and had put them in my model; but one of my bosses is very picky.   Very quickly he said, "What? no entasis?"  ...I know.

Trying to evaluate what can and can't be done.  This office is also very picky about line weights, so I am investigating that today.  Thanks again.

...if you use the CAD circle, box, etc Tools ,although they are closed by default , you still can't add them to the library ,

While it is true that most of these closed polyline shapes (circles, boxes, elipses etc.) cannot be added to the library without first doing as you say, Mick, the CAD Rectangular Polyline and Regular Polygone can be added directly to the library. Don't know why this is...

While it is true that most of these closed polyline shapes (circles, boxes, elipses etc.) cannot be added to the library without first doing as you say, Mick, the CAD Rectangular Polyline and Regular Polygone can be added directly to the library. Don't know why this is...

I had noticed that too actually , and like you am not sure what the difference is....

... However, the pre-drawn Tool items you can add by --- convert to polyline solid --- then convert to plain polyline in two clicks and then add them to the Library...

OR...you can simply marquis select them...Make CAD Block or Make Architectural Block...and then add them to library.