Default Plan & Default Layout

Joe_Carrick

My Default Plan has the following:

Floors:  Foundation, 1st Floor, 2nd Floor, 3rd Floor, Attic

Cameras:  Full Overview, Floor Overview, Framing Overview

CAD Details:  Schedules: Appliance, Cabinets, Doors, Electrical, Plan Notes, Plumbing & HVAC, Roof,  Room Finish, Vent, Window.

CAD Details:  Project Data, Miscellaneous Labels

Cross Sections:   Exterior Elevations, 2 Cross Sections

Most of the above have already been sent to my Default Layout and the Sheet Schedule has been predefined.  Naturally, the Floor & Roof Framing Plans, Electical Plans, etc have also been included in the Layout.  I also have a predefined Site Plan with a Terrain Boundary, Property & Setback Lines which has been sent to Layout.

This is very similar to Scott's SAM system - and yes, when I start a new project I have to strip a lot of the Plan,  However, I do not delete the Cameras, CAD Details or Cross Sections.

When I start a new Project, I copy my Default Project Folder Structure and name it.  Then I copy the Default Layout & Plan into that new Project & rename them. 

Next, I open the Layout and relink to the Plan and strip it.  Then as I work oin the Plan, all those things are being updated in the Layout and the ConDocs are almost totally finished.  I still have to do some additional details and annotation but there's not really that much more to do.

I use a lot of macros, many of which are embedded in Default Labels for Rooms, etc.  When I work on any project, I open the Layout and cycle thru the pages - which causes all macros to be executed and the  data displayed to be properly updated.  Some of those macros are located in the Layout but most are located in the Plan.  It doesn't matter - just cycling thru the Layout Pages will do the job of updating the data, ensuring that the annotation is correct.

Also, when I open the Layout and want to Print the ConDocs - the macros are also executed so I don't have to worry about anything being missing or incorrect.

Joe,  it sounds like we use the same method.  I do not delete cameras and cross sections.   In fact my cross sections are already in plan,  about 16 cross sections and I do not always use all of them.

The only thing that is not in layout for me are the interior elevations.  The cameras for interior elevations are there in plan,  but I do need to send the cabinet elevations to layout.  It is too much trouble otherwise.

Joe,  it sounds like we use the same method.  I do not delete cameras and cross sections.   In fact my cross sections are already in plan,  about 16 cross sections and I do not always use all of them.

The only thing that is not in layout for me are the interior elevations.  The cameras for interior elevations are there in plan,  but I do need to send the cabinet elevations to layout.  It is too much trouble otherwise.

Interior Elevations are always unique to each Plan, so I don't have them in my Layout - but I do have reserved Sheets in the Sheet Index for them.  The same is true for Wall Sections and any additional Cross Sections.

Since most of my Details are linked to special Detail Plans I don't have to do too many details.

Well...coming from a newbie who gets a thrill from creating a couple of anno sets the process Joe describes seems daunting.

I love the process because it seems it would make creating accurate and consistent condocs so very efficient. Which would mean you could possibly turn out more jobs per month/year and therefore make more money...which is always one of the goals.

Scott - do you think the SAM videos you created closely describe Joes system?

Well...coming from a newbie who gets a thrill from creating a couple of anno sets the process Joe describes seems daunting.

I love the process because it seems it would make creating accurate and consistent condocs so very efficient. Which would mean you could possibly turn out more jobs per month/year and therefore make more money...which is always one of the goals.

Scott - do you think the SAM videos you created closely describe Joes system?

I think they are the same,  you might ask Joe,  he might feel differently.

Joe - is your "template" plan a copy of a recently completed plan...or some plan from the recent past?

If it's a template you use over and over...why not open it and strip items out of the template so you don't have to do this exercise each time you create a new plan.

Thanks

Joe - is your "template" plan a copy of a recently completed plan...or some plan from the recent past?

If it's a template you use over and over...why not open it and strip items out of the template so you don't have to do this exercise each time you create a new plan.

Thanks

It's not a very complicated plan so there's not too much to strip and I have a Layer Set that has everything turned on that needs to be deleted.  It only takes a few seconds.  I do make modifications from time to time, including Macros and various Text Blocks, etc that I save in CAD Details which are then available to copy or send to Layout.  Having a "Building" allows me to test those objects and then save the Template(s).

Sometimes I will save a Plan as a Template so that I can use it as a starting point for a similar project (Architectural Style and/or Floor Plan).

Note that the Layout Template is also being revised and updated with any new standard Layout Boxes.

Steve,

If you're just beginning your Anno Set and Layer creation find some way to use a previous plan for your next plan because your next plan will almost certainly have changes made to your Anno Sets and Layers as you learn what you need.

If I understand the SAM method, it always saves your Anno Set and Layer changes (if any) from the previous plan, meaning you are always using your latest Sets and changes.

With a template you need to be sure all your latest changes are in there or you will have to create new Anno/Layer Sets in your old template. Some users have been using Chief for a very long time and don't need to modify their Anno/Layer Sets. For those users a template might be great but as you're first developing your Anno Sets I think some sort of Save As Method works best - at least it did for me.

As a side note I have 3 or 4 different Layouts saved as templates because of the different boiler plate notes needed by different Cities/ Counties etc. and I logo my Layouts for different builders with their Logos so those Layouts are saved as templates for that builder.

Any Plan or Layout can be saved as a Template.  It's just a matter of saving to the "Templates" folder.

Essentially, the SAM is the same but it isn't stored in the "Templates" folder.  OTOH, any Plan can be used as a Template simply by using "New Plan from Template" and navigating to the location of the Plan you want to use.

In summary:

1.  Any Plan or Layout can be saved as a Template - just "Save As" to the Templates Folder

2.  Any existing Plan or Layout can be used a Template - just use "New Plan from Template"

I'm just getting started setting up anno sets. I created a simple plan file to use to test and setup my layers within each anno set. The plan is a simple box 2-story with a simple part basement/part crawl. I suppose I should create a layout set linked to this plane and once I'm happy with everything (layers, anno sets, cameras, text...) I should use these files as a starting point for all future jobs...until I have a better plan/layout. Then I would save these files as my new template.

Does it sound like I've got a grasp of this...or am I going wrong somewhere?

Thanks again for all the tips and help.

I'm just getting started setting up anno sets. I created a simple plan file to use to test and setup my layers within each anno set. The plan is a simple box 2-story with a simple part basement/part crawl. I suppose I should create a layout set linked to this plane and once I'm happy with everything (layers, anno sets, cameras, text...) I should use these files as a starting point for all future jobs...until I have a better plan/layout. Then I would save these files as my new template.

Does it sound like I've got a grasp of this...or am I going wrong somewhere?

Thanks again for all the tips and help.

If you can tell me the advantage of the TEMPLATE METHOD over THE SAM METHOD,  and the advantage of THE SAM METHOD over THE TEMPLATE METHOD,  I will give you some advice.  Each method has a distinct advantage over the other method.  

If you can tell me the advantage of the TEMPLATE METHOD over THE SAM METHOD,  and the advantage of THE SAM METHOD over THE TEMPLATE METHOD,  I will give you some advice.  Each method has a distinct advantage over the other method.  

Scott,

See post #12 in this thread.  Creating a new Template is just the SAM to the Template Folder.  If you do that, you have all the advantage of both.  You have just made your SAM Plan a Template.  You can even set that File as your "Default" for new Plans.

IOW, there is no difference other than where the Plan is saved and the fact that Chief normally selects a Plan from the "Templates" Folder and has a specific Plan File set as the "Default Template".

Perhaps the easiest way to explain it is:

"New Plan from Template" should be renamed "New Plan from Existing Plan"

"New Layout from Template" should be renamed "New Layout from Existing Layout"

You can use any Plan or Layout as a Template.  It's just a matter of navigating to the Plan or Layout you want.

You do not have to have your template file in the templates folder. Just redirect CA to the location the file is stored at in the preferences DBX

Absolutely correct.  But you do not even have to designate it as the Default Template in order to use it as a Template.

Scott,

See post #12 in this thread.  Creating a new Template is just the SAM to the Template Folder.  If you do that, you have all the advantage of both.  You have just made your SAM Plan a Template.  You can even set that File as your "Default" for new Plans.

IOW, there is no difference other than where the Plan is saved and the fact that Chief normally selects a Plan from the "Templates" Folder and has a specific Plan File set as the "Default Template".

This is exactly how I do it.  It is the best of both worlds.  You have a "Template" that has all the current settings and use the SAM of that "template" when a new project comes up.  Then you don't have to take time to delete everything out of the prior file.  The template as everything there ready to go with view ports in layout and all current settings.  So the Template method as Joe said is the SAM method.

Jared,

Let's say you have made a pretty large change in your Anno Sets, for whatever reason, do you then save that plan to your template? And wouldn't you have to strip/delete everything from that plan file to start your new plan? Or are your plan/layout templates pretty well set and you don't anticipate changing much in the way of Anno Sets etc.?

Larry,

Here's what I do:

I save the Plan to either my Default Template or as a new named Template.

Then I open that Template and turn on my "Cleanup" Layer Set.  It has "All Layers On" but "Cameras", "Property Lines", "Setback Lines", "Terrain Boundary", "North Arrow" & "Sun Angle" Layers are all LOCKED.

Marque Select everything and Delete.  Do that for each Floor.

Select my Plot Plan Annoset.

Close the Template.

That's all it takes - the Template has all the Annosets, Layer Sets, Macros, etc.  All the building elements and terrain objects have been deleted.  Schedules are all empty but available in the CAD Details.

Jared,

Let's say you have made a pretty large change in your Anno Sets, for whatever reason, do you then save that plan to your template? And wouldn't you have to strip/delete everything from that plan file to start your new plan? Or are your plan/layout templates pretty well set and you don't anticipate changing much in the way of Anno Sets etc.?

Joe's way works.  For me, I would make the change to my annosets, I would export them and import into my template file.

Larry,

Here's what I do:

I save the Plan to either my Default Template or as a new named Template.

Then I open that Template and turn on my "Cleanup" Layer Set.  It has "All Layers On" but "Cameras", "Property Lines", "Setback Lines", "Terrain Boundary", "North Arrow" & "Sun Angle" Layers are all LOCKED.

Marque Select everything and Delete.  Do that for each Floor.

Select my Plot Plan Annoset.

Close the Template.

That's all it takes - the Template has all the Annosets, Layer Sets, Macros, etc.  All the building elements and terrain objects have been deleted.  Schedules are all empty but available in the CAD Details.

Thanks, I like that Joe. Im going to set up a clean up Layer set and test it out.

I mostly use templates but my needs are different since I'm working primarily interiors. So I use the templates for both varied room heights and for different cabinets defaults. Sometimes, when I have not bothered to set a template for something OR all the defaults I need are in an existing project I use SAM.

Had a thought regarding interior cameras- was thinking it would be nice if we could have a view in layout and be able to relink it to a specific camera instead of just a plan.  Click view in layout and link to a camera view in a plan? Might make layout for sheets with interior elevations easier.