Creating an Urban Loft space

ericepv

I would like to create an urban office in an old repurposed building. I have the old brick walls, distressed wood floors and now I would like to get the big beams and exposed ceiling. What would be the best way to go about doing this?

You can use CA's framing tools to create beams, or if you need to get creative, p-solids and primitives can be used.

You're not clear on what you mean by an exposed ceiling, but I assume it's the roof deck being supported by the beams. Build the roof first. Then select the room, uncheck the Ceiling>Ceiling Over This Room box, then edit the Ceiling>Ceiling Finish (J) to select the material you want for the exposed ceiling. Shoot a Full Floor Camera to make sure it worked.

The attached photo shows the look I'm after. I've been experimenting with the Build Framing tool but I'm still trying to figure it out. I did uncheck "ceiling over this room" in the Room Specification dialog but it's still there. Perhaps I need to do everything manualy.

post-1797-0-61906900-1439313529_thumb.jpg

If you wanted the "rough" beam look, you could take a 3d solid for the beam, and make other small sections that just barley overlap edges etc - then use the subtraction tool to be left with a "distressed" beam.  I've done this on other projects before (not in CA, but the process is similar).

...then again, you may not need this level of detail.