How to define DEFAULT FLOOR STRUCTURE

dshall

I changed the floor structure defaults and all floor structures/heights changed. I changed the room defaults (which I think is the place you described) nothing changed. Plan is attached above. Did you try it Michael?

I believe what you are missing is that during previous attempts at playing around with settings, you unchecked the default box next to floor structure. 

I keep this icon in my toolbars for quick total (all) floor changes. if you have 5 floors they will all show up in the DBX. of course you have to raise the roof if auto roofs are not on.

hmm,  what icon are you  using and are you saying that you can change the thickness of all floor assemblies at once by using the icon?  

I did this a long time ago,  and now I forget how to do it.

I can change a  particular floor assembly for a ROOM by selecting the room and changing the floor assembly  (it is no longer a default structure assembly)

True

I can change a  particular floor assembly for a FLOOR by selecting the floor in defaults and changing the floor assembly  (it is no longer a default structure assembly)

Isn't that how you define a default 'FLOOR' assembly

but,  how do I change the default structure for all floors including any new floor levels I might add.

Default floor structures are defined in the default for that floor

THAT IS NOT TRUE.  THAT IS THE ISSE.  THAT IS NOT TRUE.  YOU CANNOT CHANGE A DEFAULT FLOOR STRUCTURE ONCE THE FLOOR IS THERE.  YOU CAN CHANGE IT,  BUT IT IS NO LONGER A DEFAULT.  THIS IS MY ENTIRE POINT OF THE POST.

Note in the pic,  the floor structure definition thickness is 12-5/8",  that is the default,  how do I change the?....... I know how to change for this particular floor,  but how do I change the default floor assembly for all existing floors and any new floors?

Existing floors one floor at a time in defaults/floor. New floors as they are created.

Again not true,  you cannot change the default floor thickness once the floor is built.......  I thought I could at one time but I can't figure out how to do it now.  Let me be clearer,  I cannot change the OVERALL FLOOR DEFAULT STRUCTURE.  VERY MINOR ISSUE,  NOT A SUPER BIG DEAL.......

Hey,  someone gave me a negative point for this point,  I thought it was pretty good.  

Michael,  I gave you a point,  I appreciate the help.

Hey,  someone gave me a negative point for this point,  I thought it was pretty good.  

Michael,  I gave you a point,  I appreciate the help.

I don't know how to give, or what a point is, so it wasn't me and I would never give anyone a negative point. I appreciate all comments.

hmm,  what icon are you  using and are you saying that you can change the thickness of all floor assemblies at once by using the icon?

this one

Floor defaults, it will change all the floor heights and thickness at once but you must have the floor plan you want to change up ,as this DBX will only show/ change the active floor.

post-113-0-93951400-1439309789_thumb.png

this one

Floor defaults, it will change all the floor heights and thickness at once but you must have the floor plan you want to change up ,as this DBX will only show/ change the active floor.

Yes,  this changes the floor defaults for the ACTIVE FLOOR,  as you said.  Again the point was to change all floor defaults at one time.

....... Checked defaults over and over.

attachicon.gifFLOOR STRUCTURE 1.plan

You did not check defaults well enough.  You must check defaults for THE ROOM and THE FLOOR.  As you saw in the vid,  you can control the defaults for THE ENTIRE PLAN,  THE ENTIRE FLOOR ,  or THE ENTIRE ROOM.  You did not have the defaults for the room and the floor set to THE DEFAULT.  I was able to make it work.

Scott, I finally got it to work. The problem was in my profile plan. For some reason, the 1st floor default dbx did not have the floor structure box checked for default. Once checked, it works as you describe. I fixed the profile plan and now it works consistently. By not having that box checked, whenever you create a new floor, it will always use Chief's default setting and will not change when you do as you describe. Took me a little bit to figure out the problem.

Scott, I finally got it to work. The problem was in my profile plan. For some reason, the 1st floor default dbx did not have the floor structure box checked for default. Once checked, it works as you describe. I fixed the profile plan and now it works consistently. By not having that box checked, whenever you create a new floor, it will always use Chief's default setting and will not change when you do as you describe. Took me a little bit to figure out the problem.

Great,  not a deal breaker,  but a nice feature to understand.

Yes,  this changes the floor defaults for the ACTIVE FLOOR,  as you said.  Again the point was to change all floor defaults at one time.

I don't think you can change every floor with one swipe of the button but I can do it ,but only per entire floor and that's what I want. I thought you wanted each entire floor changed not all floors 1,2,3,4,5.

I don't think you can change every floor with one swipe of the button ......

Perry, that is the point of the thread.  Yes I can do it,  I have done it,  Tommy will agree it can be done.  I did a video showing I can do it.  

So I have shown you can change the default floor assembly for the entire plan in one fell swoop  (apparently very few users understand this),  I have shown how you can change all floor assemblies for a particular floor level (everybody knows this),  and I have shown how you can change the floor assembly for a particular room on a particular floor  (everybody knows this).

As I said,  I did this video many years ago,  the  reason I brought  up the topic again was because I thought understanding this might help us understand how to control jumping floor and ceiling elevations.  I am not sure if understanding this helps anybody understand jumping floor and ceiling elevations.

Scott, that only works if all floors are set to default, right?

Scott, that only works if all floors are set to default, right?

Yes,  that is correct,  that was the mistake Larry was making,  the floors were not set to default.  Sorry it took so long to answer,  I was a bit slow understanding your question,  but now your question makes  perfect sense to me.

Saw the video, but you had all one big normal rooms, When does that ever happen ? What if you have some baths or garages, kitchens and decks.

Great question Joe and Perry.  I am sure you tested it so you know the answer,  it works as expected and as I would want it to work.

I had a problem within my profile plan as well. Re set everything up and it worked.

Saw the video, but you had all one big normal rooms, When does that ever happen ? What if you have some baths or garages, kitchens and decks.

It still works even using kitchens and baths on different floors. Just tried it. Not sure about "decks" since decks have its own separate framing.