How to define DEFAULT FLOOR STRUCTURE

dshall

I did this a long time ago,  and now I forget how to do it.

I can change a  particular floor assembly for a ROOM by selecting the room and changing the floor assembly  (it is no longer a default structure assembly)

I can change a  particular floor assembly for a FLOOR by selecting the floor in defaults and changing the floor assembly  (it is no longer a default structure assembly)

but,  how do I change the default structure for all floors including any new floor levels I might add.

Note in the pic,  the floor structure definition thickness is 12-5/8",  that is the default,  how do I change the?....... I know how to change for this particular floor,  but how do I change the default floor assembly for all existing floors and any new floors?

post-50-0-80151900-1439302339_thumb.png

Scott, 

Doesn't the option to define floor structures come up when you add an additional floor? I don't think you can define the structure for future floors until you build them. But, "Build New Floor" define whether to derive from existing or not then the structure box pops up then define the floor structure for new floor

I can change a  particular floor assembly for a ROOM by selecting the room and changing the floor assembly  (it is no longer a default structure assembly)

True

I can change a  particular floor assembly for a FLOOR by selecting the floor in defaults and changing the floor assembly  (it is no longer a default structure assembly)

Isn't that how you define a default 'FLOOR' assembly

but,  how do I change the default structure for all floors including any new floor levels I might add.

Default floor structures are defined in the default for that floor

Note in the pic,  the floor structure definition thickness is 12-5/8",  that is the default,  how do I change the?....... I know how to change for this particular floor,  but how do I change the default floor assembly for all existing floors and any new floors?

Existing floors one floor at a time in defaults/floor. New floors as they are created.

Scott, 

Doesn't the option to define floor structures come up when you add an additional floor? I don't think you can define the structure for future floors until you build them. But, "Build New Floor" define whether to derive from existing or not then the structure box pops up define floor structure for new floor

Yes,  you are correct,  but,  I have a 30 story building,   I built it with 12" thick floor assemblies,  engineer now says they are all 16" thick floor assemblies,  do I have to change each floor individually or can I change all 30 floor in one fell swoop by changing the default.

It seems to be that at one time there was an overall default for all floors,  so any new floor would take on the OVERALL floor assembly definition.

So funny,  the other day I thought I changed a floor assembly thickness and I thought the ceiling dropped and the floor stayed constant,  today I try it and the ceiling stays constant and the floor elevation rises.  What am I missing?  

True

Isn't that how you define a default 'FLOOR' assembly

Default floor structures are defined in the default for that floor

THAT IS NOT TRUE.  THAT IS THE ISSE.  THAT IS NOT TRUE.  YOU CANNOT CHANGE A DEFAULT FLOOR STRUCTURE ONCE THE FLOOR IS THERE.  YOU CAN CHANGE IT,  BUT IT IS NO LONGER A DEFAULT.  THIS IS MY ENTIRE POINT OF THE POST.

Existing floors one floor at a time in defaults/floor. New floors as they are created.

Again not true,  you cannot change the default floor thickness once the floor is built.......  I thought I could at one time but I can't figure out how to do it now.  Let me be clearer,  I cannot change the OVERALL FLOOR DEFAULT STRUCTURE.  VERY MINOR ISSUE,  NOT A SUPER BIG DEAL.......

• Downvote 1

Scott, I believe if you want to change the default floor system, then go ahead and change it in the floor default. Then you have to go to each floor (I start at the top) and check the default setting. It will not do it automatically. Once you change the floor system, you need to watch the ceiling heights as well.

Edit>Default Settings>Rooms>Normal Room

You can change the floor structure defaults in there and it will change the floors for entire plan.

And the winner is MICHAEL,  thanks Michael,  that is what I was looking for.  I did this years and years ago and I forgot where it was.

Scott, I believe if you want to change the default floor system, then go ahead and change it in the floor default. Then you have to go to each floor (I start at the top) and check the default setting. It will not do it automatically. Once you change the floor system, you need to watch the ceiling heights as well.

Tommy,  I think you may of missed the objective,  look at what Michael posted,  that is what I was asking for.  By using this method,  I would not need to start at the top and check the default setting for each floor.  Michael's answer takes care of all floors in one fell swoop.

What a Pandora's box! (at least to me) :) If you follow Tommy's method, which I think, I think, is right, does the first floor remain at zero elevation and everything else get pushed up when everything is said and done, even though the ceilings are pushing the floors down? As usual, I am somewhat confused.

Mike

Tommy,  I think you may of missed the objective,  look at what Michael posted,  that is what I was asking for.  By using this method,  I would not need to start at the top and check the default setting for each floor.  Michael's answer takes care of all floors in one fell swoop.

Scott, I did a basic 3 story building and AFTER it was built, I followed Michael's way and it didn't work for me. Maybe I didn't do something right but....  I still think you need ot change each floor (after it's built). Watch the stairs as well as the ceiling.

What a Pandora's box! (at least to me) :) If you follow Tommy's method, which I think, I think, is right, does the first floor remain at zero elevation and everything else get pushed up when everything is said and done, even though the ceilings are pushing the floors down? As usual, I am somewhat confused.

Mike

great question,  you can test it yourself to get the answer.  The answer is,  the absolute ceilings heights override the absolute floor elevations,which is the behavior most users want to see and yes,  the first floor remains at zero.

The 30 story building starts at zero,  all ceilings obey the relative height,  the floor elevation is determined by the ratline ceiling heights and the floor assembly thicknesses.

great question,  you can test it yourself to get the answer.  The answer is,  the absolute ceilings heights override the absolute floor elevations,which is the behavior most users want to see and yes,  the first floor remains at zero.

The 30 story building starts at zero,  all ceilings obey the relative height,  the floor elevation is determined by the ratline ceiling heights and the floor assembly thicknesses.

I can almost always figure out what a word was supposed to be but 'ratline' has me stumped.

To clarify something here.  Unless there's something I'm missing (and I don't think there is)...You can't change floor structure defaults anywhere EXCEPT the place I described.  Any other changes to the floor structure are for that floor or room only and are not changing any defaults. 

To clarify something here.  Unless there's something I'm missing (and I don't think there is)...You can't change floor structure defaults anywhere EXCEPT the place I described.  Any other changes to the floor structure are for that floor or room only and are not changing any defaults. 

I changed the floor structure defaults and all floor structures/heights changed. I changed the room defaults (which I think is the place you described) nothing changed. Plan is attached above. Did you try it Michael?

You are not missing anything,  I am in full agreement,  thanks again for the help Michael,