Sending plan file to older version

ian6598

If you're hoping for Adobe or MS-style "Save as Version ........" then you're out of luck.

In my experience (20+ years in software development), a development team needs a structured development methodology and rigorous QA and control over its file structure to achieve backwards compatibility. Given CA's repeated history of needing half a year's updates to make any new major release )X5, X6, X7....) as stable as the previous fully updated major version, I guess it doesn't have a structured development methodology nor rigorous QA so I would guess we'll never see backwards compatibility in this product.

• Downvote 1

If you're hoping for Adobe or MS-style "Save as Version ........" then you're out of luck.

In my experience (20+ years in software development), a development team needs a structured development methodology and rigorous QA and control over its file structure to achieve backwards compatibility. Given CA's repeated history of needing half a year's updates to make any new major release )X5, X6, X7....) as stable as the previous fully updated major version, I guess it doesn't have a structured development methodology nor rigorous QA so I would guess we'll never see backwards compatibility in this product.

This isn't a very fair statement.  Almost none of the other 3D architectural modelling programs are backward compatible.  Only program that I know of that is is Archicad and even that one isn't totally backward compatible.  It requires installing and running a type of file converter which is in and of itself a bit of a chore from what I can tell.   

With all the changes and additional features, tools, functions, and capabilities it would be next to impossible to make new drawings work in old programs.  Its really just simple logic and has nothing to do with a company's "structured development methodology nor rigorous QA". 

It also has to do with new features in every version. What would happen with those new features that aren't in the older version, you might just get a conversion that is half gone. I'm sure we wouldn't like that. There is just no way to do it without losing content.