Roofs and Shapes, A Short Video.

yusuf-333

Thanks, Larry and Greg for the appreciate. Some times people argue mixing the user capability with software capability, for complex geometry it is not the software that matters but ones understanding about what he want to achieve is more important. For instance, I didn't took time to model this in chief compared to the time it took me to comprehend what the Vw expert was about to achieve(though it is a video and not sketch with dimensions) following his VW process. Then I defined the process in chief that would make me get the output and done it.

Here you see the power of the roof plane and the potential capabilities of chief to improve its process. I know what the tools in chief can do. and I woudnt even try if there wasn't the roof tool that can do most of the geometries used in building industry. Any way I suggest chef to add a roof extract tool that let's us to control the edges of the roofplane apart from the angles and and the other controls that currently exist, in general chief should move forward and it really can touch the sky.

Thanks

Your imagination astounds me Yusuf. Nice.

I'm thinking it's WAY more than imagination ...more like a talented Engineer , that looks at everything (and understands how it works) as an Engineering challenge :)  

You might be one of 6 ?   people who could make Chief do that , and I am not sure any of them Work at Chief  :)...  they might have to hire you to be able to Push CA forward into the realm of VW , ie. can you program something you don't understand ? Not of course that there are many residential House's with "Flower" style Roofs of course so perhaps CA just doesn't have the resources to incorporate stuff that isn't needed in their target market especially when there are other "simpler" issues to deal with like Stairs and the Structure DBX to deal with 1st .

Personally I'd be happy if I could use my $3000 Software to design a simple piece of custom furniture , with joints etc like you can in SU , which I really don't/didn't want to have to learn too.

M.

I'm thinking it's WAY more than imagination ...more like a talented Engineer , that looks at everything (and understands how it works) as an Engineering challenge :)

You might be one of 6 ? people who could make Chief do that , and I am not sure any of them Work at Chief :)... they might have to hire you to be able to Push CA forward into the realm of VW , ie. can you program something you don't understand ? Not of course that there are many residential House's with "Flower" style Roofs of course so perhaps CA just doesn't have the resources to incorporate stuff that isn't needed in their target market especially when there are other "simpler" issues to deal with like Stairs and the Structure DBX to deal with 1st .

Personally I'd be happy if I could use my $3000 Software to design a simple piece of custom furniture , with joints etc like you can in SU , which I really don't/didn't want to have to learn too.

M.

Mick, thank you for the appreciate. I would be glad, please pass the application to head office, that was my dream ....kkk. If any one likes to experiment on the test plan. Here is the flower house roof plan.

roof and shapes.zip

Yusuf does some very nice ,out of the box stuff ,but as most of us do, like myself, we have to also show the structure and how its built, there is more than just 3d views. I know ,Yusuf has to then go to another program to do this, It would be nice if Chief could also do the structure, but not at this time and I don't think Chief would ever be interested in that level of sophistication. Unless all you do is 3d views, we need to think about more than just the 3d. Someone has to build it. I think Yusuf can do it using other software. I guess you could design the structure using all p-line solids but that's not my bag.  I'm pretty sure Yusuf uses Chief just for the 3d stuff, and that's ok and might be the case for a lot of others. If it were me, I'd use one software "Revit" for that  kind of design stuff and save a step along the way. Of course it cost a lot more.

Thanks, Dennis and Perry, but I didn't get what exactly Perry is asking by saying ".....we have to also show the structure and how its built, there is more than just 3d views. I know ,Yusuf has to then go to another program to do this, It would be nice if Chief could also do the structure....." Design or drafting?, chief does the later pretty well if one person can do the whole Arch,Structure and MEP plans(excluding smaller homes that any one in the industry can do). But I think designing structure is the engineers task and Revit Arch doesn't do structural design.

Yes it does do framing/ structure for commercial buildings.

So I guess you are talking about RC frame 'modelling'.

And I got you now what you mean by saying this Perry

".....I guess you could design the structure using all p-line solids but that's not my bag. I'm pretty sure Yusuf uses Chief just for the 3d stuff..." You are saying this stuff(in the picture) is simply a 3D. I think I got you now, I remember in an old thread you also raised this framing isn't easy. Hopefully I am not mistaken?

post-2517-0-07543300-1439241446_thumb.jpg

".....I guess you could design the structure using all p-line solids but that's not my bag. I'm pretty sure Yusuf uses Chief just for the 3d stuff..."

Perry you are really missing this stuff in ca! Must watch this video and at least see how it does, sure it isn't that Much behind the Revit it self as you believe. Beam,column,slabs are easy to model as you see .........admit this time Mr Peru!

https://youtu.be/pBvgneGYFfY

post-2517-0-53925900-1439252002_thumb.jpg

Yes but I don't have time to model everything, I would lose money. I want to find symbols on sketch-up or in the lib. I couldn't imagine, solid  modeling a high rise building with solids, when a program has all the tools you need. I'd prefer a program that does most of the work for me, then I can customize it.

Yes but I don't have time to model everything, I would lose money. I want to find symbols on sketch-up or in the lib. I couldn't imagine, solid  modeling a high rise building with solids, when a program has all the tools you need. I'd prefer a program that does most of the work for me, then I can customize it.

Perry, I don't thing so. No solids and pline solid! Chief has the tools post, beam, footing etc. Just put it as walls. And I can assure you the way you model concrete beams in revit is the same to chief's. No solids I repeat! What chief doesn't do is the structural calc and Rebar detailing, but the basic modelling isn't time taking. 3D model based Drafting is how chief simplifies the 2d drawings. Pick and put in place , using replicate, transform and paste hold position works from one storey to the next and so on and Architects can use it easily, I am not comparing it with Revit, but works prety well for me. BTW I am engineer at the same time and use STAAD PRO for the structural analysis.