first attemp at a contemporary home with CA

cjanderson66

Go to solution Solved by AndyGump,

This is my first attempt at creating a contemporary home for a client in the Los Altos area with Chief Architect.  It was much easier that I anticipated although it is a fairly simple design.  I started this last night at about 7 pm and finished the design by noon today so I put about 6 hrs into the project and I have a complete design with a 3D rendering that I can show my client.  This is the benefit of the software when it comes to Designing a home for a client, I only wish it would fill in the blanks when it comes to the working drawings.

Would love all your feedback.

Chris

post-64-0-80492100-1438981195_thumb.jpg

This is my first attempt at creating a contemporary home for a client in the Los Altos area with Chief Architect.  It was much easier that I anticipated although it is a fairly simple design.  I started this last night at about 7 pm and finished the design by noon today so I put about 6 hrs into the project and I have a complete design with a 3D rendering that I can show my client.  This is the benefit of the software when it comes to Designing a home for a client, I only wish it would fill in the blanks when it comes to the working drawings.

Would love all your feedback.

Chris

hi chris,

nice job!! 

is that a translucent glass garage door you have and what did you use for the garage wall surface for get that reveal lines?

hi chris,

nice job!! 

is that a translucent glass garage door you have and what did you use for the garage wall surface for get that reveal lines?

Buzzsaw,

Yes that is a translucent Garage door that I created in Chief.  It installs just like any other door in Chief.  As for the wall surface, I created a moulding that looks like a stucco channel and made it a Polyline solid and added it to the horiz and vertical surfaces in the stucco.  It had to be a bit longer than the stucco surface so the stucco did not appear.  Hope that Answers your question.

Chris, would you mind posting the OP plan? I would like to look at your method for the stucco channel to polysolid groove. Nice design, BTW.

Mike

Ridge Runner,

I think this is what you are looking for.  Like I said, I created a Polysolid and put it on the section view of the wall along with the plan view and this created the channel that I was looking for.  Like to see what you come up with in your design as well.

Best,

Chris

MacMahon plan-Floor Plan.pdf

Chris, I am a little dense for Monday I guess. Is that channel you used a shape drawn in plan and converted to a polysolid as you mentioned; a little hard to tell from the PDF? When you said you created a "molding" I usually think of applying that to a 3D molding line. If you could create a copy of your plan and maybe delete everything but the wall that has the panels, and attach that plan, that would help. I don't do too many Modern designs in this part of the country but just recently did a prelim for a client using a similar system. There has been other threads on how to do this in a way that it works to show the reveal lines in a more realistic representation but, so far, "no cigar" in my opinion.

Thanks, Mike

Chris,

Very nice modern design done well!

Don't know if you are aware (or if it matters for this project), but it is possible to slightly recess the channels for this type of siding so they show properly in 3D. You just need to use the Material Region tool with the material set to transparent in the places where you want channels, being sure Cut Finish Layers of Parent Object is selected. This creates a "cutout" in the siding back to the next layer. The channels you created can then be set back beyond the face of the siding.

It is a little more work for sure, and so maybe you will want to do it only on the views you will be showing to the customer, but at least it is an option that is available.

Good luck!

post-571-0-42674700-1439308778_thumb.jpg