Have to ask

johnny

Something driving me crazy is when I am moving objects that dont have snap edges using pt-to-pt tool I can move it so that visually they are overlapping perfectly, but when you zoom in and measure they aren't.  Below are pics, but this is actually taking a ton of time trying to position things.

Is there a way to get things to snap no matter what within a certain distance?  I have object snaps on but its not snapping many objects.

post-75-0-59078000-1438886865_thumb.png

post-75-0-51460100-1438886875_thumb.png

post-75-0-57510200-1438886890_thumb.png

post-75-0-76572600-1438886900_thumb.png

OK, I think I see what you are trying to do -but you'r using the wrong object.

Instead of using a Solid, use a Post (Framing) and set it to 7-3/16" square x 120" tall and 0" base height.  This will give you "handles" and "snap points" which will allow you to position it to the opening.

Same thing with the Beam, use a Beam instead of a Solid.

If you absolutely have to work with Solids, Marquee Select and "Block".  That will also give you "handles" and "snap points".

IAE, you need to change your approach to using Chief.  It works much better if you start by creating enclosing walls so that you have a "Floor Level" on which to create other objects. 

You are right Joe, the post does work a lot better - thank you.  However, now the issue is different than I thought, as the opening has a click tolerance that allows me to get close to the object on my pt-2-pt operation, but not actually "snap" to it - therefore, I am moving the opening and having it snap to the post, but the initial selection of the opening isn't spot on....even though on my screen its spot on.

I am forced to do like 3 zoom and re-pt-2-pt operations for what should be single swift action.

First TURN OFF GRID SNAPS - and leave them off. That will mess you up to no end. Try it without the grid snaps.

I see your point. Objects don't have the same snap points as CAD boxes. Understand your frustration.

Yes, this gets very annoying since 99.99% of the time I am going to want the snap to align things not offset it.

You are right Joe, the post does work a lot better - thank you.  However, now the issue is different than I thought, as the opening has a click tolerance that allows me to get close to the object on my pt-2-pt operation, but not actually "snap" to it - therefore, I am moving the opening and having it snap to the post, but the initial selection of the opening isn't spot on....even though on my screen its spot on.

I am forced to do like 3 zoom and re-pt-2-pt operations for what should be single swift action.

Have you suppressed the Casings and Frame of the Opening?  You are probably snapping to the opening itself.  I that case just use Transform/Replicate to move the thickness of the Frame.