Fence Shadows in Site Plans

Maurice

I know this has been up before but can't find it with search engine. Town Planners here, insist on having shadows generated on site plans in plan view not only for buildings but retaining walls and fences. This would be quick if fences in CA would cast a shadow but they don't even if joined to building. Only solid rails or walls do, which means using a wall and editing it to follow slope and required height, just for shadows. Grrrrr

Am I missing something or is this still the best way, and can you please fix this CA !

For building permits we only need to cast shadows on block plan for buildings for 5 individual hours on Sept 22nd between 9am and 3pm but for multi Unit developments with more than I house on the site the required fenced in backyard requirements are quite small, as they are small the Town planners want the shadows cast by the 2m high fences also shown to check if each backyard gets required sunlight. The problem is CA fences will not cast shadows otherwise it would be easy as they follow teraine, only way is to use walls or solid rails and modify to follow terrain at correct heights to imitate fences which is very time consuming. A option to have fences cast shadows in plan view would fix this

You could draw a molding polyline along the tops of your fencing for shadowing purposes only.

Make it 1 inch thick by whatever the fence height is.

Turn it off in your 2D views where it's going to mess up the elevations.