Layout question

SNestor

I was looking at the "Riverstone" plan that Chief created.  I opened the layout and the elevations are a nice crisp black and white.  I double click on the layout box to view the elevation view and it's in color.

How do you send color rendered elevations to layout in black and white?  

I almost hate to ask this question...because it should be obvious...but, not to me.  Do elevations just go to layout in B/W?  What about floor plans?

See attached pics.

Thanks

Riverstone Elevation.tiff

Riverstone Elev Layout.tiff

There is a nice little button on the side (toolbar) you can toggle color/b&w....

Johnny...I know about the color on/off button.  I've been playing around...and I guess CA sends elevations to layout as B/W by default.  They aren't in color.  However...this isn't the same for floor plans.

Attached are two examples...just using the toggle button.  I'm wondering why my walls have no fill if I turn the color off.  I would like the fill to be at least a gray.

post-227-0-30587400-1438654024_thumb.png

post-227-0-78389600-1438654051_thumb.png

try this, then print in color. If you then go to the printer, tell them to print grayecale. Try to keep your colors on the dark side so they print well. You'll have to experiment with this to get what you want.

post-113-0-39017100-1438719195_thumb.png

I don't know, it's  automatic for me and always has been, its set up that way, do you have color on when you send it to the layout Try to have color on when sending. For me everything about color is on including the pdf print driver. It's only when I actually print to paper that I choose greyscale.  Colors will automatically go to greyscale, depending on the color, your stuff will be lighter or darker.

I can send the 'current screen as image' in color but not an Elevation - never could. I think we're talking in different terms. Elevations have always been in B&W - as long as I can remember.

The OP alludes to this same phenomenon in the sample plans. Colored elevations end up in Layout in B&W - like all mine do. Would love to know what you're doing. Hasn't this been a feature request in Chief for a hundred years? And Perry's cracked the code? Again I think we're just using different terms but I would like the OP (and myself) to be clear about Chief's capabilities.

1.  Send a Standard Render with Shadows to Layout, then a Vector View without changing the viewport.

2.  Check the height of the 2 Layout Boxes and determine the ratio.

3.  Resize the Render Layout Box using Transform Replicate so that bot are the same size

4.  Center the 2 Views on each other (Horizontal and Vertical)

post-47-0-86765200-1438742530_thumb.jpg

The correct answer is that it depends on what you mean by "in color".  Technically, they are always in color but we don't actually display any of the surface fill colors.  We only display the surface edge and pattern lines.

Assuming that you are not sending an elevation view to a layout as an image, the following is true:

Elevation surface edge and pattern lines will always be sent to layout views in color.  If all of your edge and pattern lines are black, then it may be hard to tell that this is the case.

Also, all of the cad, text, and dimensions you have in your elevation view will always display on the layout in color.

The biggest thing that makes an elevation view look different when it is sent to layout is that we don't display the solid fill colors for any of the surfaces.  This is because we don't actually draw any surfaces when you display an elevation view on a layout page.  We convert all surfaces into just the visible edge and pattern lines and store those with the layout box.  These lines are all created at the time that you send the view to the layout and can be regenerated anytime you close the elevation view.  You can also modify all of these lines on the layout page using the Edit Layout Lines tool and adjust their colors or other properties.