Vertical Space - the Structure dbx

Joe_Carrick

Simple solution.....

I AM NOT SURE IT IS SIMPLE

Not a big deal but it shows another reason to consider using extra floors.

ABSOLUTELY

For the real Second Floor I just add a 3rd Floor and label it as "Second Floor"

BEEN THERE DONE THAT,  A REASONABLE SOLUTION,  HOWEVER THERE ARE ISSUES WITH THE STAIRS SHOWING ON THE THIRD FLOOR AMONG OTHER ISSUES such as window showing on the third level in the window schedule when they are really on second floor...  and other issues.....

Thanks Joe for the explanation.  That is a method I have explored.  As stated above,  there are issues that arise when you use the third level as the second floor,  but definetely a method that works.

Depending on the SPECIFIC,  I SAID SPECIFIC   situation,  there are a number of solutions and none of them are perfect,  pick your  poison.

Nobody has come up with the perfect solution,  again,  this is something we can touch on in workshop and bring it up at the UGM.

Ok here is what I'm talking about, it seems you can use Glen's method using a room divider but you can't keep your roof on the same plane, it will drop down ,so we are left using a ceiling planes for a true soffit. Of course it would be great to just use soffits but they don't frame, that would solve all of the problems. video here.

http://screencast.com/t/JktjssFgTGn

Since "Soffits" in Chief are actually a special class of "Cabinets" - I don't think we'll ever get "framing" for them.  A special class of "Ceiling" with framing (including the wall above) would be the solution IMO.  I'm sure CA already has this in their database but who knows if it will ever get high enough up the list to make it into a future release.

So here is an alternative:

I created a 3D Molding Symbol that can be adjusted for both width and height.  The Symbol contains the framing and the soffit and wall surfaces.  By creating a Room Molding Polyline and setting the linestyle to a short dash it will show in Plan View.  The width can be anything from 6" to 72" and the height can be 8" to 48".

post-47-0-42316000-1438707742_thumb.jpg

So here is an alternative:

I created a 3D Molding Symbol that can be adjusted for both width and height.  The Symbol contains the framing and the soffit and wall surfaces.  By creating a Room Molding Polyline and setting the linestyle to a short dash it will show in Plan View.  The width can be anything from 6" to 72" and the height can be 8" to 48".

Joe, could you post the plan so I can see your method for creating this type of symbol with its components?

Mike

hopefully an understanding can be derived that

use method A for situation A

use method B for situation B

etc etc etc

then without these being written down in a concise  readable manner

its going to be very easy to get consfused/forgetful and start mixing/matching

then the frustration sets in and the grumbles of chief is too hard to learn

believe me - I struggled with this stuff muchly when I was doing Chief

and man/most times would have my partner/friend fix my mess

Lew

Ok here is what I'm talking about, it seems you can use Glen's method using a room divider but you can't keep your roof on the same plane, it will drop down ,so we are left using a ceiling planes for a true soffit. Of course it would be great to just use soffits but they don't frame, that would solve all of the problems. video here.

http://screencast.com/t/JktjssFgTGn

Perry,

OK, I know understand that your problem relates to the use of a manual Ceiling Plane and not the structure as such.

I guess your problem with the invisible wall and Generate Between Platforms can be easily overcome by the order of building the model.

Build the auto roof first, turn off auto build roof and then use the invisible wall to change the ceiling height.

Or, just edit the roof planes up to match the higher roof planes.

Perry,

Just thinking about this a bit more.

This is probably a case where you need to reach a bit further into the Chief toolbox and maybe use the much underused Roof Baseline Polylines to build the roof and bypass the default roof building method. 

HI, i've struggle in with this subject for a longest time.

i have a bedroom over the garage.

when drawn by Default...the garage Ceiling height (11'-0" )and the Main floor ceiling height in the same, and Bedroom floor/height over the garage typical and the same @ 8'-0".

here what i am trying to do....

i want lower my Garage ceiiing to 9'0"....by doing this, it will cause the Floor of the bedroom to drop as well.

what im doing now is draw a Invisible wall and divide the Garage into 2 spaces, 1 space keeping the floor heigh of bedroom over it, and the other space with the dropped ceiling height.

is there a tool or some way to Lock the floor height of the space above (the Bedroom) so that it wil not drop when i modify the ceiling below?? 

post-1340-0-89857200-1438829878_thumb.png

post-1340-0-35583400-1438829933_thumb.png

post-1340-0-90712000-1438829984_thumb.png

I would create a new floor system using the 2nd floor rooms involved. You might need to use room dividers to break the rooms up to get what you want.

Chief will fill in the ceiling joists in the leftover parts of the garage. The math on heights need to be correct.

post-113-0-22483400-1438878345_thumb.png

post-113-0-50649400-1438878381_thumb.png

Hi Buzz,

Try this one

yes. i think you and i have to same solution.

only way is to break the Garage space into 2. then set the desire height in each of the garage space

i was hoping that CA have another solution to this.

it'd be great if you can just "lock" the Bedroom floor height, so that is fixed. 

so when you change the Garage wall height, it dosent affect the Bdroom Floor/Garage Ceiling.

it should just Auto create a void space to make up the changes.

The problem basically is that Chief requires that the Floor/Ceiling Structure above must be in contact with the Room (Garage).  The way to push the Bedroom Floor back up is to insert an air gap and ceiling framing in the "Ceiling Finish".  That increases the Floor/Ceiling Structure - then set the Finish Ceiling Height in the Garage because it probably won't stay where it was.  It's a bit wonky.