How do you manage your tasks and projects?

RichardBradley92

Hi all,

My name is Richard and I am a student of architecture and design here in the UK.

I am new to the forum so I'd like to start out by saying hello to everyone ^_^

For my first topic I am keen to get an idea of how architects manage their projects and daily tasks.

Do you guys use pen and paper, to-do lists or project management software?

if you have any advice on how architects out there in the professional world manage their projects, I would be keen to familiarise myself with such methods in preparation!

All the best,

Richard

Welcome Richard. I'm not an architect but do have some similar PM issues.

I use a program called Intellect another version is Time and Chaos (love the name) T & C is the same but without email. I find the integration of email very useful. ( I wish it would integrate texts). Can be very simple to use, great at linking between contacts, email (automatic), appts and tasks (optional), other contatcts, and an overall project. For accessing or sharing between multiple users in the same office I've never found anything easier

I've gone through spurts between using all of the features and only some. It can be very powerful even in the simplest forms. With any of the software that does PM I've found that using full features can get to take more time than it saves but YMMV.

They have a trial version of each and a free version of an older T & C. I also subscribe to their hosting service so I can sync to my phone. (contacts, calendar, and tasks only)

Worth a look at http://www.chaossoftware.com/

For me , it's the squeaky wheel method, When they call and say ,"where's my plan", I then work on it. When they don't call, I work on it anyway, if it's that plans time to do.. If your busy, don't lie to the customer, if your 5 weeks out just to start it ,TELL THEM. I find people like hiring someone who is busy, rather than someone who isn't. By all means collect you fee, and hammer the money.

Welcome,

I am a remodeling contractor. I use Outlook for the calendar and email and sync with my phone. With windows 10 coming out I will have to see how things work/change. Projects(customers) get their own folder with subfolders as

needed. I create sub folders for site pictures(existing), quotes from subs and suppliers, ray traces and keep other items in the main folder. Works for me.

I use Outlook a lot - a lot.  I will email myself meeting and schedules etc, and then use Dropbox for file coordination. 

I've worked for larger companies in the past that have complicated and sophisticated project management software, but what you see on these forums is mainly small business or sole proprietor type operations.  I've had a project manager before (pre-down-turn years when we had 32 employees) use a notebook of paper and he just kept making non-stop lists and notes...and he was the most organized person i've been around, and his method was basic. 

I guess in the end its not what you use, but the constancy of its use.  If you choose something more complex, you may end up skipping it all too often and the tool doesn't work.  If paper notes is easy and you use it all the time, that may be the best bet.

• Upvote 1

I use capsulecrm online program. Integrates with Google apps email and also my accounting program Xero. I also use minutedock for time tracking and some invoicing. This also integrates with Xero and is an online program.

Welcome Richard. I'm not an architect but do have some similar PM issues.

I use a program called Intellect another version is Time and Chaos (love the name) T & C is the same but without email. I find the integration of email very useful. ( I wish it would integrate texts). Can be very simple to use, great at linking between contacts, email (automatic), appts and tasks (optional), other contatcts, and an overall project. For accessing or sharing between multiple users in the same office I've never found anything easier

I've gone through spurts between using all of the features and only some. It can be very powerful even in the simplest forms. With any of the software that does PM I've found that using full features can get to take more time than it saves but YMMV.

They have a trial version of each and a free version of an older T & C. I also subscribe to their hosting service so I can sync to my phone. (contacts, calendar, and tasks only)

Worth a look at http://www.chaossoftware.com/

Mark,

I use a free Android app called 'MightyText' to capture all of my text messages and display them in my desktop browser.  Much quicker to create text messages using a full keyboard or copy/paste to the text message window.

They offer a Pro version that will integrate your Text messages with your email. (You can send/receive text messages from your email account.)  This may, in effect, integrate your text messages into your PM system...?

FYI: I use a program called CompanionLink to sync my Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memo(notes) to my phone, tablet and PC. Syncing is done through their free cloud service, so there are no subscriptions required.

Thanks for the great responses all!

Seems to me that most people use pretty basic systems for keeping themselves organised, everyone seems to have their own way of doing things which I guess is to be expected.

I was expecting some trends though - do any of you use architect specific software like ArchiOffice?

Thanks again chaps,

Richard