TIps On Elevation Layouts & Measurements.

fredgar52

Hi, I'm fairly new to the Chief Architect community. Hello to everyone! I'm still learning about CA (I've been using YouTube to teach myself). I would appreciate help from all the experienced users, hopefully creating professional friendships. I'm from Miami, FL and would love to learn more about this program. It's a pleasure to be a part of this community!

As I'm still learning the bits and pieces, I'd love to learn more on building elevation layouts. Unfortunately, I'm still struggling with converting plans to elevation layouts. Also, has anyone encountered obstacles with measurements? I'm the designer at a kitchen cabinet company. Often, the actual wall measurements taken at the home don't always work in Chief. Often by a couple of inches, sometimes by a foot or more. I'm worried I'm still messing up on the 3D renditions. 

Could someone help me out? I'd love to learn how to make the elevation layouts. And some reassurance would be awesome! 

Thanks in advance! I look forward to meeting new mentors and friends! 

Just post your questions here and we all will help. I'm sure being in Florida, you might have special conditions but we will still try. If you get the correct answer from anyone, just make sure to give me the point.

Hi, and Welcome, as Perry said ,post as many questions as you like on the Q&A Forum as you want to.

It sounds like you dimensions are maybe setup incorrectly ,as I assume you are measuring existing homes? In which case your Dims. should be set to locate Surfaces ,not the wall dimension Layer otherwise you could/see differences due to the thickness of the drywall at least or possibly 1/2 the thickness of interior walls or even the thickness of exterior walls as dims maybe defaulted to the Wall Dimension Layer which for exterior walls is outside of Framing.

Probably best to post a question on the Q&A about the Wall Elev. there are a number of good kitchen guys here who are happy to help. It's always good to add picks to your posts showing the issues you are having ,and even attaching the plan in alot of cases is very helpful and the quickest way to get good answers.

Mick.

Welcome to the CA Forum, Fredgar!

I worked designing homes in Florida from 1972 - 2008 (ugh, what a tough year in FL). I'm now in Huntsville, AL and spend 1/2 my time designing kitchens, 1/4 doing interiors for Realtors, & 1/4 goofing off.  My voice will be part of a choir of others offering you help nearly 24-7. You'll find help at odd hours from our international community.

You'll soon find that to get the best help, ask the best question enlisting photos,screen shots, a compressed copy of the plan, a step-by-step run down of what caused the problem, and what you've tried. Of course, it's best to start with the Help function built into CA. Then search this forum for questions similar to your's. Doing research to solve a problem is one of the best ways to learn CA.

It's also helpful to set up your Profile & Signature - including your location and the specifics of your system. (For instance, there may be a known issue with a video card.)

It won't be long before you are offering advice!

BTW: I bought CA soon after Hurricane Andrew (ver 1) so that our general contractor could communicate in Miami & Coral Gables via 3-D graphics to non-English speaking tradesmen. Those old 3-D's were cartoonish by today's standards - but they were worth a thousand words! Chief Architect has both made & saved us a lot of money over the years. You've made a great investment.

Welcome Aboard!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perry, Mick & Cheryl

Thanks for being so welcoming. I appreciate your kindness! I will take your advice and apply it to my next batch of projects. I apologize for not replying sooner, I have a bad habit of seldom checking the forum area of CA. 

Although we're a community, I appreciate your time to educate a new user like me. In a way, I'm an unofficial apprentice/intern, haha!

Please keep well until our next encounter!