Pony wall issue/problem

Ross101

Hi All

This is probably due to my understanding (or not) of pony walls.

I'm trying to get a wall to display as a pony wall, with the change of wall types at 2250mm above floor level.

The lower wall is straw bale (450mm thick)

The upper wall is stud frame, with corrugated metal cladding (90mm thick).

Attached are two screen shots showing my settings, and one screen shot of the external view.

I can't get the corrugated metal cladding to display externally above the door head (head 2250 AFL)

Both the lower and upper walls have the same external appearance?

Thanks

Ross

PS  This may be due to the unusual wall thickness?  If the answer isn't obvious I'll post the plan.

post-327-0-03245300-1438256665_thumb.png

post-327-0-70990000-1438256688_thumb.png

post-327-0-17415200-1438257022_thumb.png

dennis maybe correct as  see no evidence of the Coal Colour  on your exterior , however your "stud wall" has no Studs....it should be defined as it will be built in the real world (ITRW)  ie 12mm drywall, 90mm stud,40mm Corro ( or whatever depth it is)  not 20mm of Coal Colour and 100mm of drywall , though I am not sure if that is part of the problem or not...you certainly wont get any framing...

Dennis, Curt, Mick,

Thanks for the replies.  

I tried flipping the wall, and am aware of my (bad) habit of defining a wall without framing. It's a quick and simple way of getting a view, but I don't think that is what is causing my issue.  I've just looked at several wall types and they all appear the same way in the right hand side of the "Wall Specification" DBX.  That is, even if I look at a single brick wall with no render coating, it looks the same as the one I posted and in 3D view it looks the same (see attached).  Not sure what is going on here?

Thanks

Ross 

post-327-0-24127700-1438297734_thumb.png

post-327-0-41346900-1438297749_thumb.png

post-327-0-04807500-1438297943_thumb.png

post-327-0-34336400-1438298152_thumb.png

what does the view look like in Standard view ? that looks like Vector view ....so have you played with materials and your Pattern File/colour for every one is the same beige/drywall?

as Curt said always post the plan if possible....it stops the guessing.

I'll post the plan next, but I'll just have a bit more of a play with it....

I've now worked out that this problem is specific to this plan.  

I opened another recent plan and can see a brick wall and see different wall types, textures, etc.  

It looks like I have done something with this plan only.... at least its not the dreaded "video card issue"

Cheers

Ross

The wall design does not make sense. Most use a pony wall/electrical chase on bottom set bales on it as a lower sill capillary break which also provides nailers for baseboards. Metal on studs I hope you have a thermal break or are building in the tropics with annual temps at set point. Not sure what code you are building to but I suggest a review of IRC 2015 Appendix R "Strawbales":  http://www.strawbale.com/irc-code-2013/

In any case, good luck! 

Yeah, thanks Terry, although I wasn't after specific design advice. I've built or been involved with 10 or 12 strawbale houses and am aware of the issues and details of baseboards, render types, load bearing vs non-loadbearing construction, thermal breaks, etc etc.  Also I'm in Australia (must amend my details on the forum) so some different standards apply.  Sorry to sound snippy but anyway, thanks for your reply, and good luck as well.  

Hi All

I've attached the plan here.  

The issue I'm trying to solve is as follows:

On the plan there is a wall that I've changed into a pony wall with 450mm thick strawbale below (to door/window head height at 2250m AFL) and a thinner corro clad wall above that. (I've noted it in red).  The upper part of the wall above the door head does not display correctly.

I've also put in a free standing wall just to the north of that wall that appears to have the same specifications in the Wall Specification DBX. It displays correctly.  

The question is, why doesn't the wall in the house display the same as the free standing wall? 

Many Thanks

Ross 

1508 SD 01.plan.zip

Ross,

Have you changed the wall material in the Materials panel of the wall dbx or painted the wall material?

Select the wall over the door and open it's dbx.

Go to the Material panel.

Select Exterior Wall Surface...Select Material...Plan Materials.

Scroll up to the top of the list and select Use Default...OK...OK.

That should do it.

Just a tip if you only want the Colorbond over the door itself.

Leave it how it was and use a Wall Material Region to place the colorbond over just the door. 

Use a single colorbond material and Cut Finish Layers options.

post-106-0-23862500-1438317604_thumb.jpg

Glenn

That worked perfectly..... THANKS!

At some stage I must have mucked around with the material painter and got myself into this.......  

I'm usually very wary of this tool as I don't fully understand it and it can have unexpected results.... to me anyway. However I did use it on this plan.

Thanks again

Ross 

Glenn

A good suggestion for the metal cladding over the door head, thanks. 

The "wall material region" is an interesting tool.

I can't see exactly what difference checking or unchecking the "Cut Finish Layers of Parent Object" box makes?  The Help file suggests it moves the object (in this case a sheet of corrugated metal) either inside or onto the surface of the wall?  However it doesn't seem to move.

Is this really just a polyline solid applied to a wall?

Regards

Ross

Ross,

No, it is a lot more than a polyline solid.

If you only have thin finish layers on a wall, you won't see much difference with cut Finish layers on or off.

You only have a 10mm finish layer on your colorbond wall, so you won't see the full effect when you use a WMR with Cut Layers checked.

Increase the colorbond layer to something like 100mm and you will see what happens.

The WMR replaces the finish layers of the wall with its own layers, into the depth of the wall's main layer.

This allows you to do things like recess the colorbond panel into the wall.

And by using various layers (and invisible layers) in the WMR, you can cover various scenarios.

post-106-0-23612100-1438323352_thumb.jpg

Pounamu,      nice name btw...LOL

Well, I prefer Ross in usual discourse, or even Rossco ...... to my friends.  The name came when the new CA forum started up and there was an option to have a nickname.  I'm originally a New Zealander and as you may know, Pounamu is the Maori name for greenstone, a very hard, beautiful and sought-after stone used for both weapons (clubs, axes) and jewellery.  It seemed like a good idea at the time......

I'm only an occasional poster on the forum so I have never got around to changing it.  However, it looks as if you can't actually change it anyway? As far as I can see you can change most details of your profile but not your nickname.  

Cheers

Ross(co)