Windows 10

Chrisdutch89

Changing the size of the System Partition will destroy Win7's ability to Boot as you are moving the Start point of the Boot Partition on the HD, so make sure you also know how to do a Startup Repair with the Win7 DVD , you may need to run the startup repair 2-3 times before it works properly...don't panic if it doesn't work the 1st time you run it , it should auto attempt repairs once it locates the existing installation of win 7 and then reboot but may take more than one run through before it works. (remove the dvd between tries or it will boot from it again) 

M.

My laptop (Win7) wouldn't update from the update icon so I went to MS updates and downloaded from there. It worked just like every other update and is running fine. It just took some time and patience even with the SSD.

My laptop (Win7) wouldn't update from the update icon so I went to MS updates and downloaded from there. It worked just like every other update and is running fine. It just took some time and patience even with the SSD.

My problem is patients! Messes me up because I click around to much. My computer has old timers disease "SLOW". 

I created a dual boot prior to upgrading from Win 7 and it remained after installing 10. We also had a system with a third party bool manager and it upgraded without issues.

If upgrade the Win 7 your  XP should remain. Your Win 7 would be changed to Win 10.

Clearly the best advice is to back up everything prior to doing the upgrade.

Thanks Dan, it's comforting to know that someone

has successfully accomplished this. Since I don't

have this machine hooked up to the internet I'm

thinking that I will use the method of creating a

Windows 10 installation DVD and install it that way. 

Trying to search for e-mails in Outlook 2010 was an exercise in patience and frustration.  Ridiculously slow.  I can search years of e-mails almost instantly in Gmail. And never mind having online access from anywhere.  Looked into Outlook online before switching and didn't find it very highly rated.

Well MS is not very forthcoming about the bugs in this new OS.  I ended up with the Login bug which gave a "Critical Errors" message asking to have you sign out.  Its a recursive loop.  Error message keeps popping back up, essentially making it impossible to log into your account or computer.   Had to search the web for a while to discover this has been plaguing MS Win 10 for some time.  You end up either having to revert back to your previous version, find a restore point, or create a new login user.

My new recommendation is wait for MS to work out the bugs.  You'll be much less stressed.

Check this out for Window10 users (not sure if that works with Mac) Right Click on your Desktop and open a new Folder and it will give you an option to name it... Enter this as a folder name:  GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} and dbl click on the folder and you will have all your settings to Win 10 at your finger tips. Enjoy

There was a time I would run to the store and buy the latest windows but that past a looong time ago.

Let's see... I was forced to finally stop using XP last year and move to Windows 7.. I wonder when I will move to 10... I do like the no re-installing programs idea though.... :)

There was a time I would run to the store and buy the latest windows but that past a looong time ago.

Let's see... I was forced to finally stop using XP last year and move to Windows 7.. I wonder when I will move to 10... I do like the no re-installing programs idea though.... :)

In the next 9-12 months or it won't be Free :)  

M.

Check this out for Window10 users (not sure if that works with Mac) Right Click on your Desktop and open a new Folder and it will give you an option to name it... Enter this as a folder name:  GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} and dbl click on the folder and you will have all your settings to Win 10 at your finger tips. Enjoy

Shut the front door! Love it!