Windows 10

Chrisdutch89

Try going into Settings, Accounts, Sign In Options. You can choose to us a Pin instead of a password.  You can choose to use a password/pin on start up or wake from sleep. etc.

Maureen thanks for getting back, I have tried that what I want to do is use either a pin or a password or password/pin I want to just be able to get on the computer that 10 is on without doing any of the above.

Maureen I didn't word that correctly when I read it this morning, it should of said don't want to have either a pin or password to get onto the computer just want to turn it on or wake it up from the sleep and it be at my start screen.

Thanks for any advise from computer savy people

Settings, accounts, sign in options will allow you to remove the password on wake.

I'm not sure if you can remove the password since you are signing in with a Microsoft account. A picture password might be the simplest way if you can't remove the password. Try googling it.

I can't update my desktop for nothing... laptop didn't have any issues, but Win 7 pro on my desktop it's not happening and there is no fixes yet... but since windows 7 Pro run like a swiss clock without any issues whats so ever, I guess I'll stick to an old saying "if its not broken, don't fix it" 

Will see what happens down the road.

This seems to be a growing trend with the OS, background downloading and updating.  It really bugs me when this happens.

I'm not sure if that was the culprit, but the other day I was using X7 and trying to access one of the core furniture libraries and

CA grinded to a hourglass spinning slow down.  Every symbol I clicked on to get the image of the symbol took about 5 mins to

display.  CA kept giving messages about rendering the image and then just slowly grinded through the data until it could display.

I could not tell what was eating CPU or graphic card cycles, or if it was some other OS updating in the background thing.

Anybody else notice an odd slow down in their libraries?

I upgraded my accounting computer from Win 7 with zero problems. I upgraded another Win 8.1 machine and it hung - overnight - during one process, "looking for updates" maybe?

I found a way out of the stuck dbx and found a way to reboot thinking this is going to be fun after the install hung but it re-booted right back into Win 8.1 as if nothing happened. I then downloaded the media file again, started over and this time it worked fine. Pretty impressive. I was expecting all kinds of misery after that install failed and I forced a re-boot but it took it in stride. Again, pretty impressive.

Tell windows you are on a metered wifi conection, its a check box in settings somewhere and it will let you sort of control when the updates occur. I am finding getting started in WIN10 is really slow. However it was pretty good using CAX7 yesterday when I was 60 miles from an internet connection. So the problems of slowness that did not occur before are probably linked to updates updating.

Funny cos the Windows 10 media creator I posted a link too earlier in the thread let me make a DVD with win10 pro or home etc in either 32 or 64 bit or both....

So far only my S3 has been offered the Update but after fixing IE11's install my old Netbook has been offered it too... My Office Computer has some sort of IE11 issue as well that so far even M$'s Trouble Shooter can't fix.

I finally bit the bullet and updated to Windows 10 on my primary development machine. So far it seems solid but unexciting in that it is not faster or otherwise noticeably improved from my point of view. Others will probably find some things to be an improvement. I expect that the start menu will not be as objectionable to many as it was in Windows 8. However, I've seen enough that I'm pretty sure that there will be plenty to complain about.

From what I've heard drivers are probably your biggest risk in updating. I would suggest making sure that you have updated the drivers on your machine to drivers that support Windows 8 before attempting an upgrade.  Video drivers seem to have been one big area of failure. I updated my NVIDIA drivers before I upgraded and didn't have any issues with them.

Over time I expect that Microsoft will provide more reliable drivers as they become aware of issues, but that could take some time.

My advice for most people is to wait a few weeks or even a month or more to let things stabilize before upgrading. However, for those that are early adopters, I don't see any compelling reasons to avoid Windows 10.

There is a lot to learn about this OS, so expect to devote some time to figuring out where things are and how to configure things to work best for you.

There is a windows troubleshooter listed on this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081048

I ran it and it let me know very little.

I had a lot of trouble running the upgrade ending up with an error every time. It turned out the System Reserved partition was too small. I had to resize the partition using a third party tool (Microsoft in thier great wisdom does not let this partition be resized using the disk management tool).

I got the partition up from 31 mb to 94 mb and ran the upgrade. (I'm on ssd drives myself)

In the meantime some other helpful articles guided me into a state that rendered my Windows 7 unbootable so I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 and all the updates.

I'm finally back up in Winodws 10 and am liking it very much.

I'll have to watch that myself as Win 7 only makes the 100mb System Partition if the Drive is unpartitioned when you install Win7, if the Drive is pre_partitioned it doesn't alter the existing structure.

Only trouble I've had so far was on two computers I had rolled back to IE 10 from 11 , one was fine after reinstalling IE11, the other was a bear but a 2nd required Update also needed uninstalling and reinstalling before I finally got the Get Win 10 App to Work and was able to reserve.

M.