Windows 10

Chrisdutch89

Things appear to be running smooth on my 3 computers.   Nvidia didn't want to update right away, but after a couple attempts and restarts it did.  Not sure what I did to get it to work though.  It must have been magic!

I installed on my office system this afternoon.  Tried to install the NVidea upgrade so I could access the GPU.  It failed so at present all I have is a low res video driver on a small monitor.  Not good.  My Laptop will have to wait for the rollout schedule to catch up.

I have already installed the NVidia driver that just came out, will install win 10 this weekend.

Perry,

I have 3 systems - Office, Laptop, Home

My wife has 2 systems - Office Laptop and Home Laptop

There are several other systems at our office.

So far I've upgraded to Windows 10 on my Office System and my wife's Home Laptop.

Both Systems gave me some problems. 

My Office System wouldn't let me install the new NVidea driver until I deleted the Adapter using the Device Manager.  Then it was a PITB getting the monitors correctly identified and everything sized to my liking.  IOW, non of my prior settings were saved.

My wife's Home Laptop was just real slow until I disabled Windows Defender.  We use Avast, so Defender is not something I want running anyway.

Got an email from M$ this morning , and for those who can't wait there is also a Win 10 Media Creation Tool which is good if you have multiple PC's to update, lot less GB's to download too.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-download/windows10?OCID=reserve_r_PostReserve_MediaCreationTool

Or

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

I've updated my Windows 8.1 desktop and my Windows 7 laptop, no problems on either system. One thing I did notice, there was about 3gb more space on my desktop and about 5gb more on my laptop when the downloads were complete. I was not expecting that. And yes they do seem to be running faster, bias aside. Looks like MS may have hit a home run with this massive roll out. I've heard of a few glitches but nothing major.

You should also be aware of this little bit of hidden functionality:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

Windows update delivery is on by default and will use your internet bandwidth to deliver windows to other users on the internet.

Good to know; that's not something I'm interested in.  Thanks for sharing.

I updated my Surface Pro 1 this morning.  It went smoothly with only one glitch.  I run an old program for my personal finances (Microsoft Money Plus) and that won't open (looking for Internet 6 files (tee-hee)) so if I can't get that running I'll drop back to 8.1 until the end of the year or I figure something else out. 

if like me you have a system that wasn't being offered Win10 , make sure you have IE11 installed , I had uninstalled it due to another issue , and never reinstalled it , once reinstalled and I revisited Win. Update, which installed 2 other updates , the icon was on my taskbar and  I was able to reserve it.

there are also several other reqd M$ updates you need all detailed here , depending on whether you have Win7SP1 or Win8.1    ( you won't get win10 if still on Win 8 either.)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081048

A question about windows 10, I downloaded it on one of my computers to try now when it goes to sleep or restart it I have to put a pin # in and I can't find where to get rid of it so I don't have to out  the pin # in, not sure if this is a place to ask this but any help would be appreciated from a old builder not a computer tech. 

Thanks for any help