Select and object snaps

johnny

So object snaps and references are turned on if I am working with a specific tool, but why aren't object snaps on when simply using the select objects tool?  Is there a setting for this?  Also on primitive shapes I can't get center line snaps to work - can I turn that on as well? 

I've looked in the default settings under snaps but see nothing dealing with this.

Thanks!

added - same goes for point-to-point tool...can I turn on object snaps when i have this tool being used?

added - same goes for point-to-point tool...can I turn on object snaps when i have this tool being used?

You can use a hotkey to turn snaps on/off while executing a move or other operation, even with the mouse button depressed.

You can use a hotkey to turn snaps on/off while executing a move or other operation, even with the mouse button depressed.

Yes, but I have snaps on globally...it seems like some items don't have this interactive ability to use snaps..?

One problem I am having is that poly lines (from a 3d shape) and windows etc aren't snapping to each other - so im getting edges that are apart when zoomed in.  In Vectorworks we can set tolerances, and I see in CA there is something similar, but it appears that only works with some types of objects.

Yes, but I have snaps on globally...it seems like some items don't have this interactive ability to use snaps..?

There are definitely some situations where snap points don't work, or where only certain snap points are "found" by the software. Primitives are on this list.