Balcony over a porch, the best tools?

ACADuser

Typically I want the columns set back from the edge of a porch.

Then on the Balcony above the railings also need to be set back away from the edge.

In the case of my current project, plan attached, the balcony is a flat roof with railings on top.

Therefore I want plenty of overhang. I like using railings as the are quite versatile but they restrict the room perimeter too much for overhangs.

I tried to have a room with a room integrated within it but it's not working well.

Anyway what method best suite you in the case you need on overhang?

I'll be away for the computer for a few hours.

Thanks

Edgewood.plan

Not sure I exactly understand what you want to do ,but you seem to have it setup right you just haven't pulled the roof plane back to the Handrails to expose the decking..... , you do need to turn the floor back on in each Balconey Room to show the decking too. 1 balcony also had a p-solid in it, I had to drag to the side , perhaps used as the floor but hidden under the roof plane too

post-315-0-79939900-1437939442_thumb.jpg

Actually the deck is there only because the railing create it.

The roof is what I want but if you lower the roof an inch or two the railing disappears.

If you select the railing & say No Room the railing disappears.

OK with this simple railing i found it simpler to create using short columns a p-solid for rail.

I deleted the 2nd floor railings & room but kept the roof.

I need to study decks and see of that is a better way to handle balconies when the railing is set back from the edge.

Wish I had more time to study but as you can see I'm working on Saturday & Sunday for the past three weeks.

Thanks

Alan,

I haven't got access to Chief at the moment, so I can't open your plan.

But, to get the rail to setback from the edge of deck, you can change the railing wall definition to include an invisible layer (use No Material), the thickness of the setback.

OH, didn't think about doing that.

Do you have a special "Raining Wall Definition" with this setback as an "AirGap"?

I guess I need to dig into the No Material Invisible layer.

I'll try to do it in the morning as it's 8:30 PM and that is Beer Time, :)

Thanks