Stairs with winders

myrtsbnye

Hello all

This should be an easy one but for the life of me I can't figure it out, should add I am a noobie so please go easy.

I found a step by step instructional for drawing stairs with winders put there is one step that I can't get to work.

The site says for step 3 "Next, create a second set of stairs with the bottom of the first tread snapping to the top of the last tread of the section created in step 2. Draw the number of treads to be the Winder section."

OK, when I draw the second section it always snaps to the floor, not to the top of the first section of stair treads. I always start the second section at the point at the top of the first section when the cursor is a blue circle with a red box around it, at the middle of the top tread of the first set of stairs. 

How do I draw the section section so that it starts at the top of the first section, so that it is a continuation of the first section?

Thanks for the help

Malcolm

After creating the second (or more) stair sections, you zoom in and carefully align and locate one stair section to the next. Zooming in so you can see well is the key with stairs on any kind. When the stair sections are properly located, one to another, they will "snap" together (close does NOT count). Only preciseness will serve with stairs.

DJP

• 10 months later...

Since when is that illegal? Been a number of years since I've built a set of winders, but as far as I know the ICC hasn't changed any of those requirements in quite some time. Can someone point me to the code section you're referring to? Or is it possibly a local amendment?

This has been around for a long time.

Yep. And several of those appear to be exactly what the OP is asking for and I don't believe there has to be any code violation.

To answer the question...Drawing stairs in Chief isn't one of my areas of expertise and I rarely spend much time on them (I've actually BUILT far more than I've drawn) but I don't see why you couldn't simply do that with multiple landings. It's the way most people would frame them anyway.

here it is

I'm aware of and familiar with that code section.  There's nothing in there that precludes a simple winder without the fillet though. 

If you're referring to the sharp corners he sketched in there, I agree...those are a code violation.  I believe removing the fillet was the point though, not the exact shape of the treads in that sketch. 

Oops forgot to post response.

To get winders without the fillet you have to draw three separate landings.

Actually I draw one square landing between two sets of stairs that are at 90 degrees to each other so I get the automatic height on the first landing correct.

Then I copy the landing two other times adjusting the height an extra riser height each time.

Then I re-shape each landing to the pie shape required to get those perfect 90 degree pies all meeting at precisely one point as in your photo.

Then I block the mother and stick it in my user library.

Always easy to add or remove steps on the straight stair parts.

I can even rotate to get "U" shape staircase with one square landing and a set of three winders.

(That's for when you really messed up on your head clearance. lol )

I'm simply showing the O.P. what the code is for me. BTW, look at the min 6" winder, it's right there.

I'm not sure where our misunderstanding is...here's a sketch from the actual IRC code commentaries referring to the code section in question...notice there's no fillet or chamfer...

post-46-0-62358100-1465076154_thumb.png

• 1 month later...