girders with piers in foundation

mkennedy2000

Not automatic but you can use the post tool and it will give you a pier automatically (adjust in the framing /post) DBX first. Make one then multiple copyusing the exact spacing you need.

Aha,  but it the land is sloped,  the elevation at top of footings........ergo bottom of posts varies.....  therefore,  to get these auto,  make sure that one of your exterior foundation walls are temporarily defined as NO ROOM DEFINITION,  that way you will get top of footings 6" above grade and therefore the bottom of posts will be 6" above grade.  This default should be changed to 8"  to reflect the new code.....  but.....  but I think Perry knows this, but he kept it simple.

I always try to keep it simple b/c I hate typing. And yes, you are correct for sloping terrain (thanks for adding that) but this is your" secret out of the box method" and Chief knows nothing about that, use at your own risk and it works good.

Thanks for the tip Scott.  That's something that I've always struggled with.  Does it also work for stepping the other foundation walls?

No,  I don't think so.  The principal is the same as for deck post footings.  The posts and footings for a deck follow the slope of the grade,  (no room def under deck),  therefore the footings under the floor assembly are acting as if it is a deck and not an under floor room area. since you have selected a foundation wall as NO ROOM DEF. 

Thanks guys for the tips and input. Somehow I didn't get an email so I was feeling unloved and ignored.....

So post and pier is OK, but what about the girder on top of the post? And a bearing line to get the joists to break? 

Nice tip about the foundation wall as no room, def - saves a minute of layout time I think.