Adding masonry footer walls with slab foundation for rooms

oldgreg

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

I have an older ranch home and original plans for it.  See attached detail of the footer for load bearing masonry walls that act to support spanning trusses.  The living space is all slab foundation, but I cannot figure out how to get Chief to build regular foundation walls and then let us have a slab foundation as the floor for the rooms inside.  

Imagine a rectangle house with footers for all the exterior masonry walls, a slab poured for the inside space, and a single interior load bearing wall on that slab.  The final detail would be exterior slabs for the patio and carport likely with their own structure entirely, not connected to the home.   I need to be able to show load bearing walls that are IN the slab with a standard internal slab turndown, awhile also having footer walls for the exterio masonry walls.  Having trouble combining everything.  

post-4450-0-10012800-1437676124_thumb.jpg

post-4450-0-39864600-1437676331_thumb.jpg 

Thanks for all the help!

I need to understand entirely how to build out the slab when I've already made all the exterior wall footer walls (not slab).  The program wants to build floor joists when I door foot walls.  If i go into each room and change the foundation to slab, then the footer walls go away and they become slab turndowns.  

change the Default Floor structure   to 4" solid Concrete and delete the OSB subfloor layer , you need to setup all your defaults Before you start your drawing, as much as possible to match existing conditions , things such as Room heights, window and door types etc. .....Floor Joists and OSB are the OOB settings Chief Comes with.

Ahh!  Thanks Mick.  That did the trick for getting the floor poured.  I've been working the defaults as you suggested but must have overlooked this as it was pretty buried.

Any last advice on how to make that one interior wall have the standard interior load bearing profile with the chamfers and such that I was getting when I made the entire foundation a slab?

I've got the X7 version.  Here is a plan.  The redline I gave earlier should be helpful in showing how I am trying to mix all this together.  A final piece I am having trouble with also is getting the garage/carport in order.  That needs to be it's own monolithic slab with it's own footings...how in the world to get the chamfer type footings?  I only am able to get stem wall type footings on it.  Thank you for the suggestions and support.  

shangri las copy.plan

• Solution

The mixing is likely part of the issue ,you may have to do some of it manually , but because you have played with all the room settings, trying to fix stuff nothing is at default, so rooms wont take any settings from the Plan's defaults, I had to go to each room and mess with floor settings to get it to work as far as I got it.

The footing on the laundry wall was easily added on the wall's foundation tab , but I can't get it to show the chamfer.

You had the carport and front porch labelled Porch in the room def.  which is why I think you don't have a foundation there as Porch Rooms auto get a 4"Slab only.

M.

shangri las copy_MH.plan

I may have misunderstood but I think he wanted a 8" stemwall and conc. 4" slab floor with thickenings under the load bearing walls eg at the Laundry and around the front Entry.

Think you did a mono slab right P. ?

The mixing is likely part of the issue ,you may have to do some of it manually , but because you have played with all the room settings, trying to fix stuff nothing is at default, so rooms wont take any settings from the Plan's defaults, I had to go to each room and mess with floor settings to get it to work as far as I got it.

The footing on the laundry wall was easily added on the wall's foundation tab , but I can't get it to show the chamfer.

You had the carport and front porch labelled Porch in the room def.  which is why I think you don't have a foundation there as Porch Rooms auto get a 4"Slab only.

M.

This is it!  How would I have done it going back to default?  I see that you did it, but I would like to learn how you applied the slab foundation to the edges of the carport while still tying them into the footer walls where they exist already for brick.  Mind stepping me through it?

Appreciated!

that is more or less automatic once you have the Carport and rear Porch setup for Monoslabs , I have played some more and the only way to get it all was to do stuff manually . like the footing only walls around the kitchen and the foundation wall under the carport and front entry...  it seems the Chamfer on foundations only works on Monoslabs not footings too, so you would have to fix that in section views, unless someone else knows how to get it to work.

here is the updated plan , I have saved cameras for you to open and look at , for eg. camera 10 shows some weird stuff around the rear porch walls , but I have never seen that effect before ...didn't think a slope topped wall was possible actually....

I setup a layerset (camera view-no walls) so you can see just the foundation and floor slab only so it's easier to see what's going on....not sure why the laundry wall footing doesn't show in some views but it is there in the Cross sections.

M.

shangri las copy_MH2.plan

post-315-0-55239000-1438040389_thumb.jpg

Just to be clear you can also add Slab footings as needed manually if needed(slab footing tool, see ref.manual) , though I didn't need them above, I did add the garage foundation stem walls manually since nothing I did would bring them back. I then deleted the internal stem walls and footings and added a footing to those walls only via the wall's DBX.

I think getting your defaults right and your room settings right  before building anything is important and seems to be bourne out in another thread today on foundations too.....https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/6065-more-structure-dbx-challenges/page-2#entry53315

Hope this helps,

M.